Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotech Water Pump Replacement

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Hi I am shortly going to replace the water pump on my VY V6 and wondering what people are using as a thread sealant on the large bolts that go into the water jacket.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
I tried silicone on a water pump it still leaked i ended up using a brown aviation gasket goo that worked well i dont have much luck with rtv

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I always use the Permatex sensor safe RTV. I also make sure to clean all the bolt threads before coating in RTV and refitting.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Just did mine and I used Loctite MR 5923 same as 3J, used it on the gasket both side and the 4 bolts. Torqued them 4 bolts to 30Nm and the smaller ones to 21Nm book says 12-18Nm + 74 degrees, the water pump pully 4 bolts 16Nm. Didn't use the shim tried it on and spun it and you can see it not spinning like it should so removed it no more funny business, funny thing the one I took off had the shim so probably didn't need a water pump just the shim removed, someone before me fitted a PTX pump put the spacer on.
So many mixed messages about using it or not, the guide it comes with shows 2 types both having a hole in the centre of the pully mine is solid, a guy on U-Tube says you don't use the spacer after the VP Commodore not sure he was right or not.

Last edited: