Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EGR valve VX

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
the egr is a stepper motor like the iac it drives itself in and out.they do wear out and cause bad idle.

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
the egr is a stepper motor like the iac it drives itself in and out.they do wear out and cause bad idle.

Yeah but I did some further tests and had it blocked off and idle was still bad.

I just gave the IAC another clean, it used to make a loud ticking noise when turning the engine off, think it was getting stuck on the ridges inside the housing, I pulled it apart and cleaned it thoroughly and coated it all in silicone spray, since it's back in my revs have come down from 750 at idle to about 550, so now the ticking noise is not noticeable from in the car and very quiet now and seems to have corrected the idle speed, but it didn't fix the roughness, id say it'll be down to that cylinder having lost compression.

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
That same low pressure cylinder also has a dirty plug, the rest are all fairly clean.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
wonder if it is carbon build up in the inlet manifold ports ??

before you take the head off

what are the reading differences in cylinder 2 .. dry ----and then with a squirt of oil (wet)

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Will do the piston ring test on Monday with the oil and let you know mate.

I won't be doing repairs on this myself, probably not an easy job?
Will have to get a quote on repairs once I know more, any ideas what I'm looking at minimum for either rings or valves in one cylinder? Easy to work out cost based on how long it takes + parts.

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
wonder if it is carbon build up in the inlet manifold ports ??

Not sure but:
*It's just one cylinder
*the rest are all even pressure
*Carbon buildup wasn't bad in Plenum and down the ports when I cleaned it

Regarding piston rings, there's no smoke from exhaust or oil on the plug so more likely a prob with the exhaust valve only?

I don't know if it could be related to buildup...any chance filling the cylinder with sea foam cleaner a couple times may clean the valve seat or help the compression in any way?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
ide just drive it be another 150000km in it yet just swap in another engine when it dies.my vx wagon is at 400000km slight miss at idle dead o2 sensors and uses a little oil still keeps on trucking just isnt worth wasting money on LOL

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Yeah but I'm less than half those kms and have kept it in overall excellent condition, nothing wrong with it besides this so I'd at least query the cost and then decide.

Can't be too much to fix a single valve?

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
also wonder if its a sticky lifter on that valve

less than 200,000ks is low km for a VX

if the head is off they do all the valves -- and shave the heads ..its a lot of work really ..so may as well do it right

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
I thought the single valve/lifter can be worked on or replaced by removing the cover?

Should I open the cover and have a look for any signs of wear or damage, could take pics and post ...