Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EGR valve VX

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Had solenoid blocked off, it didn't change anything.

Those quad driver faults are both solid red while engine is running, it's only when the engine isn't running that quad driver 2 fault comes on and off every few seconds, QD1 is always showing fault in red.

Any idea whether the wideband-inj volts 43.6 red is something wrong or just a software config issue?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
no you just dont have a wideband input connected thats for when we take the injector volt wire and remove it and use it to input wideband to the ecu instead

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Ok, no idea what that's all about so I'll move on lol

So apparently the PCV valve is meant to be open during idle, so this can't be causing rough idle right?

What else can I check?
Bad CAS?
??

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
Video of bad idle, please.

I'm beginning to think you've become paranoid trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist. As dirty hands said, these motors don't have a particularly smooth idle at the best of times. I need to see proof that the motor has a rough idle before I comment any suggestions and what to fix.

I thought my motor was a little rough. Replaced plugs, leads, filters, oil, even battery terminals! Then I put it on the tech 2 at work, performed every function test on engine sensors possible, checked AFR's, and all came back normal. A kick and buck at idle every now and then is normal, our old v6's are far from refined.

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
here's some data from the engine, might be helpful, if the engine shake is ECU related.

Note: test was done with all vac hoses blocked so RPM were higher, just looking for rough idle source.

data.jpg

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
I'll follow up with a vid

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Can't upload the vid, but did the typical glass of water on it and the water went up the edges about 5mm on the shaking and the glass jolted about 3-4mm on one of them.

point is, it used to run really smooth, now you can feel the whole car wiggle when sitting in the drivers seat.

If anyone sat in a new VX you'd remember just how smooth they can run, there wasn't any intermittent shaking or roughness you could feel in the seat, (I didn't used to anyway) and unless it's serious engine wear which I doubt, it has to be something else, just a matter of finding it.

Only thoughts are if the CAS is playing up or lost it's accuracy or if there's excessive uneven carbon buildup inside the engine and needs to be cleaned out.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
You need to get a video or else we are all just guessing. I used to sit in ecotec commodores everyday and they all have small intermittent kicks while idling that can be felt most when the car is in neutral.

You mentioned that it doesn't feel like a new vx. The car is 14 years old, it's never going to feel new again. Even things like the seat cushion compressing over time, transfer more vibrations to the driver.

You've done a whole lot of tests to show that everything is normal. We need at the very least to see a video of what you're describing. One man's rough idle is another's creamy smooth.

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
I know my car, I've driven it for 10 years, it's not my seat cushioning or any other factor like that.

The engine is smooth and powerful when driving, doesn't miss a beat there, so it's just a park/neutral idle issue and most likely the computer compensating for variances causing the kicks, less noticeable stopped in drive but that's cause it's under some load which stabilises the engine.

I wasn't looking for a reason to be told it's normal for the age, I just wanted to find out all the components that could cause it, most of which I've checked already so I'm happy to leave it if there's nothing else, or take it to Holden, but in the end I need to be happy with the idle instead of accepting it's normal from an opinion through a video that's not going to give a real indication of how it is.

The data i posted is a better indication of whether there's abnormal rev fluctuations or not.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
engine mounts getting knackered or the engine getting noisey and setting off knock sensors could be anything.lots of people on here spent many dollars trying to fix issues like this some never do lol