Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EGR valve VX

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
No knock sensors been set off, everything for engine is normal according to computer or should I say within tolerances.

I guess I'll have to leave it be and if it gets worse it may set off a code eventually.

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
I will look into replacing the gearbox though, I know what the problem is:

Trans seems noisy when moving in 1st and Reverse, noise goes away instantly if you shift to N or the transmission goes into 3rd gear: Reaction planetary is worn out due to high miles or insufficient lubrication. Not a critical failure, but not a good sign either. Transmission must be removed and rebuilt, sooner rather than later.

Any suggestions on what and where I should look for price and quality replacements ?
Could have it fixed but I'm guessing a swap out will be cheaper.

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
What state are you in (on mobile site can't see). If your in Vic, bring it round. I'll run every function test the tech 2 has available and prove to you that you're chasing a problem that doesn't exist.

You keep saying "the computer compensating". The data sheet you posted shows that's not the case, there were no significant variances in data to warrant a concern.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
meady_183 thanks for offering --- kais3r is in qld

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
forgot what It was I said

Last edited:

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
What state are you in (on mobile site can't see). If your in Vic, bring it round. I'll run every function test the tech 2 has available and prove to you that you're chasing a problem that doesn't exist.

You keep saying "the computer compensating". The data sheet you posted shows that's not the case, there were no significant variances in data to warrant a concern.

Thanks for offering, bit too far I think lol

The data may not show the actual issue, maybe only the computer trying to compensate for it so it's not definitive that all is well, but would be good to know what causes these little kicks at idle that cause the engine to shift around on the mounts, as I said it's every 2-3 seconds sometimes quicker, which to me says timing on one device is out then it corrects it every time it happens.

I've had rev fluctuations for years which weren't an issue because I was told it was related to having pacemakers and the O2 reacting differently to them, the rev fluctuations were still smooth enough for the engine to sit still.
The kicking however came later.

DH, didn't work out an average, just posted the data incase there was some evidence of the cause, I'm not basing the issue off the data, I just know it doesn't run like it used to and the data was to analyse if the computer/sensors may have been causing it, but I'm guessing it's something else.

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
My guess is a device relating to timing, like the CAS, if it's out even slightly (detecting late) it may offset timing on each cylinder ever so slightly and increasingly till one cylinder is far enough out that it gives a kick, slowing the revs and engine back in sync with the CAS, then happens all over again in short spaces of time.

Could also be any other device which has a similar timing function like a chain or cam sensor etc, I don't know what else there is, so my aim was to find out and then I can at least take it in to get checked on targeted systems, if I can't test it myself.

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
If you guys could get the same data from your cars and show me with a good running engine I could compare and possibly figure out which sensor is at fault and throwing the harmony out of the rest, from my data over only 6 seconds I would've thought the idle variation was considerably fluctuating.

I can see when idle variation was at 7, within the same second the revs, O2 sensors and other sensors were also fluctuating by higher margins, O2's were peaking at 500 just after a cycle of high/low/high idle variation, which to me might indicate a bad burn of fuel making the o2's detect more oxygen, since I've sorted out any ignition problems it comes back to timing, and if the CAS is playing up then it may be sparking late leaving less burn time, then o2's detect a bad burn and the computer goes through a correction based on O2 readings, yet the core issue might be the timing is slightly out and not significant enough to trip a code so the computer just keeps cycling the same corrections when any given cylinder happens to be the one that gets the timing kick.

Also when idling, sometimes a few plugs will be dirty, it varies which ones, others will be clean, and after i've gone on a longer drive cruising, they will all be spotless, so the bad timing shows itself more at idle when the air/fuel is in the cylinder longer, because at higher rpm it smooths out and the fuel tends to not burn fully anyway, hence the purpose of EGR & PCV valves.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
VS ecotecs drop to into open loop at idle, which means the ECU doesn't act on any of the readings it receives from the 02 sensors at idle.(so they don't effect the idle at all). The ECU must go into closed loop before taking any readings from the 02 sensors. The VT/VX are probably the same as VS, but I cant say for sure, I haven't played around with the tune in these models..

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Interested to know why idle revs fluctuate after installing extractors then, maybe it has changed in the VXII