Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Elec short? Parking lights coming on when braking.

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Hi all,

Noticed the parkers coming on a few weeks ago when better half backing out of driveway.
Just for clarity, middle of day and no need for any automatic lighting - likely not related anyway.

Brake off, parkers off. Brake on, parkers come on. Weird?

Again, probably not related, but had to replace LH rear stop/tail lamp yesterday.

Anyone recall any gremlins accidentally introduced by wrong bulbs etc? I 'thought' I read this somewhere - wrong track maybe...
Just FYI, no LED's etc - stock standard stuff.

Can deal with lots of other stuff - electrical is not my forte.
Now also noticed interior boot light, map lights (domes OK) and glove box light also not working... globes appear fine.
Checked interior fuses and seem OK.

Time to visit the Auto Elec? Any ideas?

UPDATE: Just saw my directly related post a while ago. Mmm seems to be a trend here...
Interior lighting glitch

Maybe this has been happening well before I noticed.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Faulty bulb.remove the bulb and see if the fault repeats. New parts are no way to be sure a fault is resolved. Defective out of the box.

Reactions: Lex

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Tail light bulbs have both parkers and stop filaments. Normally when this behaviour occurs, one of the filaments has shorted to the other circuit, sending power over.

Check both sides and globes for shorts.

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Common mistake with easy fix.

You have installed a single pin bulb into a two-pin socket. The single pin bulb shorts the two pins in the socket and sends brake light power back up the park light circuit.

Common mistake made by people. You will want to check the locking slots on the side of the socket too. Twin pin bulbs have these pins offset - you may have damaged the socket.

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
Also check for globe being put in 180 degrees out.

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Common mistake with easy fix.

You have installed a single pin bulb into a two-pin socket. The single pin bulb shorts the two pins in the socket and sends brake light power back up the park light circuit.

Common mistake made by people. You will want to check the locking slots on the side of the socket too. Twin pin bulbs have these pins offset - you may have damaged the socket.
Thanks, but pretty sure I haven't made that mistake - but I'll certainly check soon and if i'm wrong - well I'm very happy to stand corrected! Hopefully I can get time to check Wednesday. Thanks again.

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Finally got around to this - well everyone was right (sort of), the new STOP/tail bulb I put in recently was defective (*out of the box).

I still have to get around to fixing the map light, glove box, sunvisor mirror lamps and boot light. None of them work.
Had the headlining done ages ago and fairly sure the guy has broken something up there... I've checked fuses and nothing amiss there (bugger it).