Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electical/Steering Problem SSV

vzlumina

01/05 VZ Lumina AKW-989
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
MY9.5 SS-V, '99 CR125
HI guys I would really appreciate any help/opinions you could off,

My car is doing the following, only upon turning the steering wheel right hand down.

ESP off, as soon as I turn the wheel right hand down after start up the animation shows as if I have turned it off, but I can't turn it back on. It isn't showing an ESP error. Now from what I can gather it is still working, I have tried to lock the brakes up, no go pulls up normally. Also in the wet the traction control grabs when starting and the back end doesn't go out.

AIRBAG FAULT, upon right hand turn, also the button lights go off, but if I turn the wheel back, the fault clears and the lights come back on. I took the wheel off and 'reset' the clock spring and the air bag fault hasn't come up again and the lights are staying on.

When I turn the wheel full lock, right hand down (as if doing a U-turn) there is an awful grinding noise, kind of like the wheel is caught on the guard. I have checked this and the power steering fluid. All are fine. This is the one that worries me the most. This isn't happening if I go full lock left, I've tried this a few times. (It will start now just to make a liar out me).

Any sort of ideas or opinions you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

The only thing I can think of that has happened to the car recently is that it got reversed into, also the harmonic balancer has been replaced twice, due to faults and then a 3rd time they took the belts off (or something like this) to check that there wasn't damage to the crankshaft (I can't be sure that is correct, I didn't really understand what they were saying there, just that they had to remove belts and perform a cold start up)

Cheers and thanks.

Oh and Merry Christmas.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
front wheel hub/sensor could be wiring rubbing when turning, was the car reversed into on that side/wheel, could be crook sensor, airbag fault loose connection underseat could be something to do with being reversed into (right hand side???)

vzlumina

01/05 VZ Lumina AKW-989
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
MY9.5 SS-V, '99 CR125
Thanks for the opinion mate, Sorry I haven't written back, been away for the Holidays.

Nope, it was reversed into on the left hand side. The lights and airbag have gone back to normal now, its like its an electrical bug. Because I swear black and blue the ESP is still working. I just can't turn it off ?

Can I take it to a normal auto electrician, or does it have to go to a Holden dealer? Just my local is s*&t and I hate going there.