Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

electric seat surround

ad45

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT wagon S2
g'day has anyone had trouble with the plastic surround around the switch lever for the electric seat, its has broken away where it screws on it was kinda broken when i got it and over time it has broken right off, the one right at the front of the seat, and theres a screw in the middle and the guts has pulled out of it, anyone fixed this problem

NateGL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY-S-II
hey yea I've got that problem but doesn't look like anything a bit of strong glue couldn't fix and maybe a new screw here or there but. If it doesn't look to bad I would say attempt to fix yourself because holden would prob charge an arm and a leg for that new part.

Oakey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim Wagon
Mine has also just broken, not happy, I have a few questions....
1. How much would a new plastic surround cost, has anybody bought one?
2. Is it easy to fix myself, I am wondering how to get the old switch out to swap it into the new surround, it appears to be part of the surround.
3. Does anybody know how to get the adjustment knob for the backrest off so that I can remove the surround?

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
2. Is it easy to fix myself, I am wondering how to get the old switch out to swap it into the new surround, it appears to be part of the surround.
3. Does anybody know how to get the adjustment knob for the backrest off so that I can remove the surround?

holden quote $250 for the passenger side $385 for driver's side.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2

Hope we are talking about the right part here. I assume you mean the plastic moulding fitted below the outside seat cushion, which the seat adjusting switch is fitted to.

1. I purchased a left hand one brand new at trade price at $55 from my local dealer. I think full price is $70 or so.
2. If you old moulding is in fair nick and you have all the bits, it is simple enough to glue back together, but you should probably reinforce the repair from behind with araldite and small metal off cuts laid across the join. Just make sure you don't disturbe any mounting surfaces. (iethe bit which actually sits on the seat base throujgh which the mounting screws run)
3. Switch is dead easy to remove. Start by prying off the knob with a flat bladed screwdriver. It is clipped on to three separate lugs so be careful. the major clip is on the central lug. The switch just unclips from the back of the trim. Simple.
4. the knob comes off with the shaft. (sounds painful!) Use a flat bladed screwdriver to lever the knob and shaft out of the seat. Just inset the blade of the screwdriver between the adjusting knob and the seat trim and give it a gentle flick - it comes out pretty easily.

Oakey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim Wagon
Thankyou very much, it sounds easier than I thought...

2. If you old moulding is in fair nick and you have all the bits, it is simple enough to glue back together, but you should probably reinforce the repair from behind with araldite and small metal off cuts laid across the join. Just make sure you don't disturbe any mounting surfaces. (iethe bit which actually sits on the seat base throujgh which the mounting screws run)

Yeah, see that is my problem, my surround actually broke off at the mounting point, so fixing it would be too hard I believe.

4. the knob comes off with the shaft. (sounds painful!)
....Gee, ya think LOL!

Ok, so what would be my chances of scoring a part from a wrecker, or are these things that commonly broken that I would struggle to find one?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Your could try your luck or a second hand one but the chances are that wreckers would be reluctant to break up a seat just for this part, unless the seat was stuffed. Also, the part could be almost as expensive as a new one, because the wreckers know how commonly these things cark it and jack their prices up to suit.

Like I said, they are not too dear new, and you are sure of a part in the ocrrect colour and condition. If you are determined to purchase second hand, make sure you get the right colour. Early models (VT) will fit, but they are grey, whereas the VY trims are black.

UNKNOWN

DEFECTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR SII BT1 5 Speed
Mines broken too :( Are holden getting cheap!!!

I have VZ SV6 seats in my car if ur wondering why it says VR in my ride!

Oakey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim Wagon
UPDATE - I went and purchased a new surround today from my local holden dealer. $39.90 was the price I paid. Thought it would be a quick 5 minute job but turned out to be a little more tricky. Very hard to locate the screw hole that mounts the surround to the front of the seat. Had to use the electric adjust to put the seat as high and as far tilted back as I could get it (how the hell would any human being sit on that angle!!). Other problem I had was the knob for the backrest adjust. It popped off quite easily (knob comes off the shaft) with a screw driver but won't pop back on. If I do manage to get it to click into place, it pops off as soon as you go to turn it. Any suggestions?? Other than that, not bad, better that paying the $80 I was quoted by holden to fit it!