Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electric water pump

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Every car I have ever had, in full service condition, with the thermostat removed has not reached running temp either idling nor driving.

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
^^ unless your talking about a freezing night or middle of winter I don't believe a word of it, if it's 25 + degrees it won't stay cool while stationary and until you show me some footage of it goin through a drive through in summer and it not over heating I call bullsh!t

How do you have a full serviced car with no thermostat ?? If it was full services it would have a thermostat in it

Wazz vn in post 9 seams to know what I'm talking about first hand

Post 18 supports what I'm saying when he put a hi flow thermostate in and it actually rose the temp a bit, how does your book explane that

Every car iv seen over heats when stationary with no thermostat in it and I'm sure lots of others have seen this as well

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
They sell restrictor plates to restrict the flow if you're not running a thermostat. They're just a flat piece of steel with a hole drilled in it so that the heat can be transferred to the coolant more effectively.

Too cold causes excessive wear, sub par performance and poor fuel economy.

Everybody seems to have a different theory though. It's hard to know what to believe, but in the end it doesn't really matter anyway. As long as it sits on a consistent temperature it'll be fine.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Yes they (speed shops) sell restrictor plates, their primary use is for where a electric pump is used without a thermostatic speed controller, such as in drag racing.
Holden have never retailed a restrictor plate nor have they ever advised to run a restrictor plate in place of a thermostat.

In plain English, the slower (or more restricted, either by plates, faulty thermostat, blocked radiator etc) the coolant flow, the more it heats up.

I have never seen, nor heard of in 30yrs of working on and around cars, both in the trade and as an enthusiast, a car needing its coolant flow slowed to prevent overheating.
FWIW Coolant flow must be matched to air flow for optimum heat exchange and ambient temperature is the governing factor.

The one I always hear from the laymen is, "it's running hot, rip the thermostat out."

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
I'm not saying it should be slower then what the factory thermostats makes it flow at, ov course if you got a blocked hose or stuffed thermostats or radiator it will over heat

I'm saying if you remove the thermostat, you sit there stationary posistion, it's a warm day here in oz, you will end up with a progressively getting hotter and hotter coolent system because the coolent passes to quickly through the radiator and the fan does not pull enough air quickly enough to remove the heat from the coolent that fast

Do 80 km/h and all of a sudden you have mass air pushing through it and it can remove the heat and temps will drop

Don't believe me then try it now as it's summer

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I think there is a bit more to it when comparing a standard mechanical water pump and thermostat to an electric water pump with a restrictor plate.

A standard mechanical water pump has an ever changing flow rate and a thermostat to control the flow/temp. An electric water pump has a constant flow independent to rpm and a restrictor plate to control flow.

You would never use a restrictor plate with a mechanical water pump due to the changing rate of flow.

there does need to be some sort of coolant flow control. If there didn't manufacturers wouldn't have been fitting thermostats for as long as they have. If you have a look at a thermostat, even when fully open and compare the open area to that of a thermostat housing without a thermostat you would soon see that the thermostat (even when fully open) has a much smaller open area and therefore reduced amount of flow. If much higher flow was important thermostats would need to be much bigger but they aren't.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
the thought that has always stuck in my head is that "the faster the flow the less time to cool"

eg....put a cup of boiling water in a freezer for one minute and youll get 80* for example
.......put another cup of boiling water in for 2mins and it will cool to 60* for example

1 however the longer the coolant stays in the engine the hotter it will become thus requiring more heat to be removed and a longer time required to do it.
2 now....with a lower temp tstat the flow is more constant but there is less heat to be removed when passing through the radiator.

then you have thermo fans and clutch fans and this also changes the cooling characteristics.

ive got 4 tstats ive experimented with, 1 standard temp/standard flow, 1 standard temp high flow, 1 low temp high flow and 1 low temp standard flow....cant rememder the temps to be exact.

i run twin 10' thermos and have found the standard temp and flow stat to be the most efficient and keep a constant engine temp......which confirms my personal thoughts. My thermos don't suck like 20 desperate hookers so that could be why this tstat works for me.....if they did suck harder and flow a lot more CFM then I might be able to run a high flow low temp stat...
but this is what works for my engine and cooling system.....but it may not for others nor am I saying other peoples theories are wrong.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
High flow thermostats are a gimmick for a standard or mildly modified engine. Hell, even highly modified Holden V8 engines run fine with a decent cooling system and 180° F thermostats.

A thermostat works by controlling flow to regulate engine temps. A High flow thermostat would keep the flow the same as the regular thermostat to maintain the same temp. If it allowed more flow the engine would run cooler! Therefore high flow thermostat = marketing gimmick to help lighten your wallet :)

Here is a simple question, the standard Holden V8 thermostat is a 192°F (88.9°C). At what temp does this thermostat start to open and at what temp is it fully open?

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
It starts to open at only 1 or 2 degrees below it's operating temp

Is still massively restricted at this point and usually stays at around that restricted point

It's fully open by about 10 degrees above it's operating temp