Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electrical Issues

parko84

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina
Hi all,
hoping i can get some help,

My brother has a v6 vt commodore, it was killing batteries, so he had just changed the alternator over checked all the wiring and fuses, ignition barrel switches and earths.

The problem we are having is this, when we connect the battery it is sparking, there is absolutely no power getting through to the car, no lights, central locking, absolutely nothing, you turn the key and there is nothing, it is an empty shell, I have traced the main plugs and power leads but absolutely nothing, i have checked all the fuses, connections and i reinstalled the alternator in case it was that, unfortunately I am trying to fix a mess and I am completely out of ideas, if anyone has anything it would be awesome before the young fella goes to an auto elec.

Cheers in advance guys and girls.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
You could start by checking the earth points in the engine bay.
Particularly the ones circled.

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
If you are keen to find the issue yourself I would highly recommend grabbing a multimeter and doing some continuity checks, if you don't already have a multimeter you can get cheap ones (good enough) for 10 bucks.

Checking the Earths would be my first port of call, and if you grab a multimeter you can check for continuity between the + and - terminals and narrow it down from there.
Another place i would check is the main power wire for the starter. Not sure on the VT, but i know on earlier models the starter has a constant power wire and then a trigger wire, if the constant power got grounded it would cause your issues.