Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electronic throttle controller?

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
They're a stupid gimmick that just fudges the throttle position sensor. No different to smashing your throttle pedal harder.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

same as the idrive, they basically amplify or dampen the signal sent from your accelerator pedal to the ecu and they can be handy on a 4x4 in certain situations but like smashfist said it is pretty much like flooring it every time you want to go.

the best thing about them is reading the facebook comments from people that buy them and how they claim it gave their vehicle more power :rolleyes:
idrive even makes claims like "unleash the power" lol

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... idrive even makes claims like "unleash the power" lol
Funny that is.
My right foot does the same :rolleyes: so maybe I should pay myself $150 :p

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Reduces throttle lag

No it really doesn't. All it does is make applying the pedal 1-50% for example look to the computer as though it's 1-75% by fudging the resistances sent back to the ECM. It does absolutely nothing for opening the throttle body quicker or reducing throttle "lag" as it's not changing anything between the ECM and the throttle body. Just makes it look like you're applying more throttle more quickly.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
No it really doesn't. All it does is make applying the pedal 1-50% for example look to the computer as though it's 1-75% by fudging the resistances sent back to the ECM. It does absolutely nothing for opening the throttle body quicker or reducing throttle "lag" as it's not changing anything between the ECM and the throttle body. Just makes it look like you're applying more throttle more quickly.

I disagree. The device reduces throttle "lag" felt by the driver - by reducing the amount of accelerator pedal input required for a specific level of throttle actuation. These devices do not change the power/ torque curves in any manner and hence the engine output remains the same.

Care to explain your understanding of what throttle lag is and how it can be properly reduced?

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Care to explain your understanding of what throttle lag is and how it can be properly reduced?

Well, what is it?? I drive Big Red thousands of kilometres remotely, and don't have anything to complain about with this thing (real or imagined) called "throttle lag". I'd also like to know why it needs, on perception, to be reduced. Could buy a couple of bottles of quite decent gin for the price Supercheap is asking...:p

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
to change the actual pedal v throttle body u have to be able to adjust the tune side, even the tuning programs dont get full access as the TB is going thru another module, if we adjust the actual throttle pedal too different to what the throttle body expects it will throw a code thinking its out of range and can even brick the ecu, all the throttle controllers can do by being plugged into the pedal is as mentioned change the percentage rate between the pedal and the throttle body they cant do anything more then that its impossible from only being plugged into the pedal, this lag that it fixed is just the controller jumps up a few more percent with every first movement so it feels better, but still all the torque management is still active so u cant remove that without tuning so nothing more is done then just using more of your right foot, its a good placebo tho