Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electronic throttle controller?

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Care to explain your understanding of what throttle lag is and how it can be properly reduced?

Throttle "lag" as it's commonly referred to in your DBW electronic throttle vehicle is usually a function of things like anti-thrash, drivability refinement and mechanical component protection. It's common in a modern engine tune to limit how quickly a throttle blade opens to reduce shock on the driveline and give the driver a more refined experience. There have been various degrees of success in balancing these things with the perception of a "laggy" throttle and it's easy to compare if you drive an early DBW vehicle compared to a modern one (you don't get a lot of what used to be "lag" on a modern DBW vehicle these days). Summed up by another post here:

to change the actual pedal v throttle body u have to be able to adjust the tune side

The "throttle controller" is doing nothing in terms of changing how the throttle is controlled. All it's doing is simulating stamping on the pedal quicker or more making you THINK that you're achieving something.

These devices do not change the power/ torque curves in any manner and hence the engine output remains the same.

And that sums it up. No effect on engine performance whatsoever. They're a useless gimmick promoted by people preying on the gullible.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Electronic throttles are a great way for the manufacturer to save drivers from themselves and their heavy foots.

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
Amazing fact! A placebo stops working as soon as you know it's a placebo. . . . . .

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
Well, what is it?? I drive Big Red thousands of kilometres remotely, and don't have anything to complain about with this thing (real or imagined) called "throttle lag". I'd also like to know why it needs, on perception, to be reduced. Could buy a couple of bottles of quite decent gin for the price Supercheap is asking...:p

I don't have any complaints about the throttle response either. My friend had one of the hikeit units in his car and based on his recommendation I bought one a few months ago. Driving in "Hi" mode, the slightest pedal movement caused the car to surge forward "like" I floored it. Then there was an "eco" mode which made the car more sluggish than normal. I don't think it was placebo - there was a marked difference in the way the car responded to the throttle pedal movement. However, that was not my cup of tea - so returned the unit around a week later.