Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Emergency Advice Needed! Stranded in Dromana with VX Gen 3 with gearbox issue.

bladerunner

"needs a bit'a nitrous"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
sounds like you have fried the clutch pack for the R,1,2 (i think thats the gear select from memory,i used to be in the industry a while ago) gears mate unfortunately. the whining/spinning noise may indicate that the main input shaft which is basicly the g-box spine to put it in plain english has either stripped its teeth or may even be cracked altogether. that would have been the bang you heard when you took off as the box would have went into reverse gear because its the first selection in the clutch drum (once again from memory) but in reallity mate it could be anything inside the box- eg, the sungear or the reaction shell that houses such gear can be stripped around the input shaft.. get what im saying now? lol. find a local tranny guy where the car is - a lot of places have reco'd boxes ready to go, i know we did- or fork out $$ for a tilt tray home because IF it is the input shaft and it lets go altogether you will be going nowhere

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
this is from my repair guide, you should get the error codes by shorting pins 5 and 6 from the socket under the steering wheel

1st and 3rd only, will not work in 2nd ,4th or Reverse, Fault =sunshell is fractured or splines are sheared off. Try not to run or drive the car or further damage could result. REMEDY =R&R

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Put the car on a towtruck and get it sent to a repairer.

brad_m_is

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais
Stripped reaction shell. make sure u get the stronger one fitted as i have broken mine twice. shouldnt be a total rebuild got mine fixed for about 900 i think

bricat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 Calais 5.7 A4
You could join RACV extra care You only have to wait 24hrs after joining????/

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
You could join RACV extra care You only have to wait 24hrs after joining????/

Are you sure? I believe you can join on the spot, at the side of the road and get service.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Are you sure? I believe you can join on the spot, at the side of the road and get service.
Yep I've had to do that before although mine had lapsed and was just a renewal, I don't see why you can't join on the spot and get a tow

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 SS V Z Series Manaul Sportwagon
I'm already with RACV. They will only tow first 20km. Then it's $4 per km thereafter. There is also a 10 day waiting period. Quite useless!

Thinking about putting a fully reco box in from a VZ.

I've been quoted $1,800 with convertor. Then there is about $440 labour.

Still have the issue of getting it home.