Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine bay plug

Speeddemon030

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII berlina v6 auto sedan
Hi guys just above my brake fluid reservoir there's a white female 4 pin plug that's been unplugged and I'm not sure what it actually goes to , Wether it's just an extra plug used on the V8s or its just an unused plug or potentially something dangerous has been unplugged. Any help would be appreciated as I want to use it for something if it's basically useless

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230517_005916_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20230517_005916_Snapchat.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 93

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
It's too cold and dark for me to go look right now, but I have a VX Berlina and I'm pretty sure I've got a plug to nowhere in the same location in my engine bay, too. It is potentially the sensor for the brake master cylinder that tells you when you're low on brake fluid, so check the master cylinder to see if there's any lonely male plugs hanging out there. If that doesn't answer the question for you, then going by this pic (lifted from the Commodore VT-VX-VY workshop manual) of what wiring is where, it's most likely got something to do with the BCM or the remote receiver (have any problems locking/unlocking your car?) / sun sensor (do your headlights come on automatically at night if you turn the headlight dial all the way right?).
If you've got some time on your hands, then have a flick through the wiring diagrams (download here) and see if you can chase down what it is.
Have fun!

Wiring1.jpg

Speeddemon030

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's too cold and dark for me to go look right now, but I have a VX Berlina and I'm pretty sure I've got a plug to nowhere in the same location in my engine bay, too. It is potentially the sensor for the brake master cylinder that tells you when you're low on brake fluid, so check the master cylinder to see if there's any lonely male plugs hanging out there. If that doesn't answer the question for you, then going by this pic (lifted from the Commodore VT-VX-VY workshop manual) of what wiring is where, it's most likely got something to do with the BCM or the remote receiver (have any problems locking/unlocking your car?) / sun sensor (do your headlights come on automatically at night if you turn the headlight dial all the way right?).
If you've got some time on your hands, then have a flick through the wiring diagrams (download here) and see if you can chase down what it is.
Have fun!
Hey , thank you for the diagram I'm at work at the moment so I'll pop the bonnet on my car and see if the brake master cylinder is un plugged. I have doubts because there's no warning to indicate the brake fluid is low and it was topped up in its last service. I'll have a look as I've heard somewhere it has something to do with the v8 engine loom
I only have issues unlocking my car from behind trees. My car is a VT series 2 berlina so there is no auto lights built into my BCM
EDIT 1: The brake master cylinder and the Abs etc and stuff around it seem to all be plugged in/normal and the line it's connected to runs up into the firewall at the centre of the dash so probably an internal add on?

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I believe that plug is for the cars fitted with the LS motors. Fairly sure there was a thread about it quite a while ago but you'd need to search for it.

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
Hi guys just above my brake fluid reservoir there's a white female 4 pin plug that's been unplugged and I'm not sure what it actually goes to , Wether it's just an extra plug used on the V8s or its just an unused plug or potentially something dangerous has been unplugged. Any help would be appreciated as I want to use it for something if it's basically useless
could be for the loom for the factory optioned and SS front fog lights ???

No harm unplugged if you don't have the fitted option

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Does it look like connector #9 in the diagram below? Should only be for Gen III V8 engine - Throttle Relaxer Connector (Export Left Hand Drive Vehicles with Traction Control). Diagram for V6 doesn't show such a connector.

1684400888822.png

Speeddemon030

Reaction score
Members Ride
Does it look like connector #9 in the diagram below? Should only be for Gen III V8 engine - Throttle Relaxer Connector (Export Left Hand Drive Vehicles with Traction Control). Diagram for V6 doesn't show such a connector.
That's the wierd thing , it's the model year to have the Gen 3 as it's a 2000 model berlina. But it's got an ECO v6 from the factory i do believe it's either #9 or number #13. I woild hope as someone's mentioned above it's for the fog light harness but being that far back in the engine bay it's highly unlikely to be any accessory outside a v8 option.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's not really weird, V6 and V8 probably share the same body loom so there will be some plugs that are used in one but not the other.