Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NSW] Engine clean/degrease

Shooter03

Nek Minnit
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz wagon
Yeah I'm a moron, I'll put my flame suit on and prepare myself for the onslaught of pointing out how dumb I am.

Pretty sad when people expect to get put down on here.

Thanks for the question mate, now I don't have to ask it either.

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS equip, 4.2L stroker on its way.
Pretty sad when people expect to get put down on here.

Thanks for the question mate, now I don't have to ask it either.

Yeah it kinda is, but that comes with any online community. There's only one forum I regularly comment on that is free of Flamers and haters.

ivabiggen

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Executive
Yeah it kinda is, but that comes with any online community. There's only one forum I regularly comment on that is free of Flamers and haters.
it's called babtisim by fire.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
99% of the time, blasting it will be fine, but there is a 1% chance itll mess with something. i have an evo here with water in the spark plug holes cos the retard detailer hosed off right on the gap of the rocker cover and flooded it. its a straight forward fix though, tip metho in it, wait a bit then blast it out with air.

you just gotta watch your maf really and avoid getting water in the induction.

to be honest, nothing will get the results that a toothbrush and a bucket of soapy water will. it takes time, but when you are getting right into it you manage to clean areas you never would have thought to and the result is 1.6 billion times better than just degreaser and a hose.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Heard plenty of stories of coil packs being rooted by water getting in.. particularly with euros though.

If the engine cover is on, then there's no need to cover the coil packs - but if the coils are exposed, I'll always cover them with something. Same deal if the alternator is exposed. And if the car has an OTR fitted, I'll generally bag up the mouth of it even to wash the car.

Also, you don't really want to be spraying degreaser or APC on a hot motor - it will dry before it gets a chance to work - better off spraying it down when cold and letting it sit (use brushes to agitate if necessary and to get into all the tight areas), rinsing clean and hose it down - then start the car and let it idle a while to dry off. You can dress the plastics then too if you like. Also, when rinsing, I do use a pressure cleaner but keep it a bit of a distance away from the bay, so it's not copping the full pressure. You're dumping less water over the area using a pressure cleaner, but you're bound to force water in somewhere if you hold it too close.

All this said, there are some older motors that I just will not hose down - 70s ferraris spring to mind. Just not a good idea - I dry wash those. Not a problem with modern motors though. Just be wary of coil packs and alternators

I do sit on the cautious side of things as a rule though - last thing I want to do is double my business insurance by screwing up someone's motor by forcing water where it shouldn't be.

Last edited:

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
I might just cover the coil pack and alternator with plastic bags then and be careful where the water is aimed.

I mostly want to clean around the intake manifold and the rear of the motor, do its easier to work on when I pull it all down soon.

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heaps of good tips too guys thanks a heap.

Should be useful info for allot of people.

Jarrad

Sherminator
Reaction score
Members Ride
Silver Ex Cop VX Wagon
I might just cover the coil pack and alternator with plastic bags then and be careful where the water is aimed.

This is what you should do...