Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine cut out while driving!

nicdamo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Wagon
2004 VZ Commodore Wagon
While driving this morning, around a corner doing roughly 20-25ks the engine stopped. No warning lights, no beeping - just quiet. Started up again no problems. Revs ok, still no warning signals. Drove home 40 minutes. Checked computer with OBD thingy for any error codes - nothing!
Starts fine any day. Fuel pump working, I can hear it. Battery not long replaced.
What else can I check before the husband comes home to a burnt out car?
Cheers

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Cant tell you what caused your problem but my VZ sometimes starts and immediately stops.
It has not stopped on the road like your's, and all I do when it does this is remove the key, then reinsert and start no problems.
This happens probably 2-3 times a year.
The old VP I had did what yours did and it was the crank angle sensor.
Low on fuel in the tank can cause the pump to not pick up in the older commodores especially when turning left, not sure about the VZ.
If you lost dash lights I would look toward battery/body connections.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Car suddenly stops, there should be an error logged.

I would be checking connections in your wiring harness, the crank angle sensor plug pins. Can you see any corrosion, try spraying battery terminal or maf cleaner.

Don't waste your money replacing the CAS, check the plug and socket connections first.

Last edited:

nicdamo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Wagon
Cheers for that!
Not low fuel as I’d just left the petrol station. But the crank angle sensor is probably the ONLY part of this car that hasn’t been replaced so far - so it’s good bet that’s what the problem is.

zoenryan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 , VZ Wagon V6, VE Saloon V6 LPG, VX V6
I'd be checking the battry connections first - you would be surprised how often what appears to be a good connection is actually loose. How many kms has it done?

nicdamo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Wagon
Cheers. That was the first thing I checked - all good and not a wiggle!
Haha 299,280kms!

nicdamo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Wagon
I'd be checking the battry connections first - you would be surprised how often what appears to be a good connection is actually loose. How many kms has it done?
Cheers. That was the first thing I checked - all good and not a wiggle!
Haha 299,280kms!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Given the mileage it sounds like it could be a fuel pump issue, either filter, strainer, pump or all three. CAS should play up when hot and be ok when cool before it goes all together.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
The old VP I had did what yours did and it was the crank angle sensor.

Yes, I had this too in my Lexcen CSI (VP Commodore-X). Turn around the corner (right, mostly) and the engine cut/stalled, which also locked the steering! Mechanics said it was the fuel pump; I never got to find out as I traded to the VZ Commodore not long after being stranded both by ignition failure and fuel pump failure.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Cant tell you what caused your problem but my VZ sometimes starts and immediately stops.
It has not stopped on the road like your's, and all I do when it does this is remove the key, then reinsert and start no problems.
This happens probably 2-3 times a year.
Talking to my son yesterday, he tells me this is a known commodore problem and I should turn the key to ignition then wait a second or 2 before starting.