Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine cut out while driving!

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Our VY did the same thing. Driving along then just died. Changed CAS, DFI, Coils and fuel pump module (Super 6) and it still did it. Changed fuel pump and it never did it again.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
2004 VZ Commodore Wagon
While driving this morning, around a corner doing roughly 20-25ks the engine stopped. No warning lights, no beeping - just quiet. Started up again no problems. Revs ok, still no warning signals. Drove home 40 minutes. Checked computer with OBD thingy for any error codes - nothing!
Starts fine any day. Fuel pump working, I can hear it. Battery not long replaced.
What else can I check before the husband comes home to a burnt out car?
Cheers

Very high km car. Have the ignition barrel unit changed if it is still possible to buy a new one for the VZ. I assume they are still available.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
Could be a cracked hose, the L shaped hose on the top side of the engine causing vacuum leak

sbarclay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX LS1 wagon
Hi all. This happened to me twice in 2 days in my vx v8 wagon. Once going straight braking to stop on the motorway, and once turning right at low kms. I had near full tank. And lost all power everywhere, even the dash lights. I just knocked it into neutral and fired it up with no other issues.

If it's just the fuel pump, wouldn't the dash lights still be on?

TIA

mark allen vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy
Have a VY, had the same problem. Stalling while driving. Replaced most parts suggested on this site from dfi unit, coils, idle sensor, fuel pump, oxygen sensor, all of which was not the problem. All it was, was a crack in the rubber air inlet pipe. Temporarily taped it up, and no more stalling. Hope this helps someone.

Reactions: Lex

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
Have a VY, had the same problem. Stalling while driving. Replaced most parts suggested on this site from dfi unit, coils, idle sensor, fuel pump, oxygen sensor, all of which was not the problem. All it was, was a crack in the rubber air inlet pipe. Temporarily taped it up, and no more stalling. Hope this helps someone.
parts cannon is not recommended on this site

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
My mates uncle knows a bloke who has a budgie that whistles for a taxi for him. His taxi driver knows a lady that’s married to a mechanic and word is he recons the ECM and BCM. Gonna cost heaps.

wazzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz commodore
2004 VZ Commodore Wagon
While driving this morning, around a corner doing roughly 20-25ks the engine stopped. No warning lights, no beeping - just quiet. Started up again no problems. Revs ok, still no warning signals. Drove home 40 minutes. Checked computer with OBD thingy for any error codes - nothing!
Starts fine any day. Fuel pump working, I can hear it. Battery not long replaced.
Cheers
Could be something with the evap system, mine keeps shutting down mid drive I had something replaced on it drove beautiful after. It's doing it again now tho

wazzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz commodore
2004 VZ Commodore Wagon
Cheers
Could be possibly something to do with evap system. Mine shuts off mid drive and throws p0458 codes