Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine cutting out at around 100kmh.

Jesse.15

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy
I have a vy v6 wagon.
I have this issue where sometimes when I take off I get a bit of a surge .
Just recently I was driving down the freeway and my engine coughed then cut out.
I pulled over and tried to start it and it wouldn't turn over although sometimes it sounded like it was going to.
After waiting about 10 minutes I tired again and the at seemed fine. I made it a couple of kms down the freeway and it did it again.
I checked my engine and I had spark. After I got the car home on a tow truck the car started straight away.
The next day I drove it and it seemed fine, the only thing I can think of is my fuel pump .
I replaced my fuel pump yesterday and when I was driving down the highway my engine cut out again .

Does anyone have any suggestions what it could be.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Crank angle sensor, you should get a workshop to check for error codes. Could also be an immobiliser problem, clean the ring around the key barrel and the little tit on the key.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I to thought it sounds like a CAS fault as these start to play up when it gets hot however they don't stop the engine cranking over and he said he's got spark when it does play up which would suggest the CAS/DFI are working?

Struggling to turn over may indicate an alternator/battery issue?

Jesse.15

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy
I have replaced my CAS about 4 months ago then I was losing spark and it turns out I had a faulty CAS so I replaced now the car is fine.
If it was the CAS wouldn't I have no spark ?

Jesse.15

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy
I have a Volts gauge and my battery is charging at 13.9v and my battery is at 12.2v when on accessories

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I have a Volts gauge and my battery is charging at 13.9v and my battery is at 12.2v when on accessories
Charging voltage is ok but battery volts might be a bit low (depending on the load with key on accessories).

I have replaced my CAS about 4 months ago then I was losing spark and it turns out I had a faulty CAS so I replaced now the car is fine.
If it was the CAS wouldn't I have no spark ?

Was it a genuine CAS or cheap aftermarket unit? The non genuine ones sometimes don't last to long.

Correct, if you have spark then it would suggest the CAS is working. Could also be a DFI fault. The CAS/DFI provide spark independent of the PCM (basically during cranking) until a set RPM is reached, then the PCM takes over the ignition timing control. The CAS supplies 2 timing signals to the DFI and onto the PCM. The engine can continue to run if one of these signals is missing but will not start. IT is possible that the fault is in the DFI unit as well.

Do you know anybody with a Commodore you can borrow a DFI module from for testing?

Jesse.15

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy
Didn't work,
My battery is going flat from trying to turn it over

Last edited: