Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine cutting out on gear upshift (auto)

R

red131

I'm having a problem with my VY Maloo series 1 auto, as the engine peaks in rpm and makes an upshift the engine cuts back to idle and will not increase rpm in the next gear until the accelorater pedal is released and pressed again, this only happens under hard acceleration (making a shift at full throttle) in both power and economy mode, a few peolpe have sujested the throttle position sensor is playing up, any advise would be appreciated.

dinodog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 SS
Same problem.

:w00t: The same happened to me today at the drags seemed when i was changing the gears (Auto) 1st 2nd 3rd drive down the 1/4 mile my SS 5.0 seemed to cut out when the rev's got up there i would be keen to know why as well. if anyone can help Car still went hard just that little problem.:driving:

dinodog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 SS
It's not just hitting the rev limiter is it??
Im not sure but it has not happend again will see next mth at the drags, putting a bigger t/body on to day and thinking abt a Blue chip as well, was running car on 98 at drags and she did bloody well had a go with one of the last Monaro 260 kws and he was only a front guard ahead of me so She must be going ok. Will changing the chip get rid of rev cut?? Thanks for the help.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
dinodog said:
Will changing the chip get rid of rev cut??

Generally yes. Well, it won't get rid of it, but you can get them to change the point at which the rev limiter kicks in.

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
I strongly recommend getting your auto's shift points recalibrated via HP Tuner or similar. Makes it a whole different car to drive - definitely well worth it! You could get the rest of the engine tuned, while you're at it, and calibrate your speedo etc.

I'm wondering if your engine cutting is an "anti-hooning" protection, or a perhaps a computer-initiated torque reduction setting for hard upshifts?