Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine fault light

Greg_Sian

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore, VT S 97
I have 96 VS 3.8 exec, had problems starting so i took battery out and cleaned up terminals, now the engine fault light comes on every now and then, checked codes and gave a 12 all ok..... if its on and i turn car off and restart it straight away it goes out? :b:

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
on mine it will repeat the code 3 times each error

flash 1 time break 2 times = 12
flash 1 time break 2 times
flash 1 time break 2 times
flash 3 times break 5 time = 35 (which is fixed now)
flash 3 times break 5 time
flash 3 times break 5 time etc

Greg_Sian

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore, VT S 97
Just tried it, let it go to 5 times, even tried turning ignition on and off about 10 times to see if error would appear. guess i'll just have to wait till whatever it is stays on then check, hopefully it won't be too much.

A

Amishdan

My olds VS was putting up the engine light, turned out it was low on tranny fluid. Could be something basic like that...

Most likely not but its all ive got :thumbsup:

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
Once an error code is logged, it can remain on the diagnostic display after the problems has been fixed. :unsure: A mate I mine that is a mechanic for a Holden dealership cleared my error codes, when I had my remote key reprogrammed.

VL400

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais - Quadcam V8, tiptronic auto, 3.9lokka
Greg_Sian said:
I have 96 VS 3.8 exec, had problems starting so i took battery out and cleaned up terminals, now the engine fault light comes on every now and then, checked codes and gave a 12 all ok..... if its on and i turn car off and restart it straight away it goes out? :b:

The way GM have written the code means that just because the CEL comes on it does not mean that the fault code is logged to non-volatile memory so it can be checked later. This means it is possible under certain conditions to get a code 12 (all ok) even if the CEL has been on. There are 3 parts to the CEL and logging of codes...
Current Fault Conditions - What the CEL displays while the engine is running
Logging Filter - To stop very short duration fault conditions from being logged to memory.
History Of Fault Conditions - If the fault occurs for a certain amount of time (see next bit) it is stored here. It is what you get when later extracting fault codes

There are then 4 parts to the filtering of fault conditions....
1) If the CEL was OFF prior to the fault condition and no other faults are in the logging filter then the error must exist for longer than 200mS to set the history fault flag.
2) If the CEL was ON prior to the fault condition and no other faults are in the logging filter then the error must exist for longer than 500mS to set the history fault flag.
3) If the CEL was OFF prior to the fault condition and fault conditions are in the logging filter then the error must exist for longer than 10 seconds to set the history fault flag.
4) If the CEL was ON prior to the fault condition and fault conditions are in the logging filter then the error must exist for longer than 10.5 seconds to set the history fault flag.

No with this information I have 2 theories on why you had a CEL with no faults logged....
1) The fault condition occured very quickly, the CEL was set, the error cleared briefly but was set again and stayed for a few seconds. This means that the CEL would have stayed on for the duration of the error which had to be less than about 10 seconds (using logging filter condition 3) to not log a fault code.
2) An error was logged but for some reason a checksum failed on the non-volatile memory so it was cleared which wipes out the malfunction history amongst other things - the ECU does a check on startup and during normal running and if it finds an error clears everything, this is the same as removing the battery for a bit to reset the ECU.

Clear as mud :thumbsup:

danny1987

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore sedan
im getting the same sorta prob the engine light comes up every so often normally when cruseing at 100ks or with the cruse on except i get the code( code 13 rh oxygen sensor no signal) and i checked like it says to check the wiring for loose conections but its still coming up. please help its annoying me.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
well replace the oxygen sensor then, its died, there about 100 bux i think

W

wartisimo

just to add to unwanted lights on dash -does any one know how to reset the airbag light- there is nothing wrong with air bag - stuffed up when changing indicator stalk and didnt discon batt ( was too lazy to hunt around 4 radio code )

A

Australian&Antichrist

engine check light

my Engine check light comes on every now and then, ever since i got my exhaust done, i have had it run on the computer at my mechanic's about 3 times to keep checkin up on it and its all good, i got told maybe a sensor was maybe knocked or some ****?