Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Guard overheating alarm

philscat1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Hi all
Fist post, so go easy on me
I've got a 2013 VE 3 l sportswagon, which had a few overheating issues.. They look to be all solved, but I'm thinking of fitting one of these for peace of mind
Its called "Engine Guard Overheating Alarm" (engineguard.com.au - I have no affiliation).
My question - has anyone else fitted one? If so, where would be the best places for the sensors?
Look forward to the answers, and thanks in advance for any help given!

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Do you know why it was overheating?
If it’s fixed and your RED coolant is at correct level, then watch out for overheating and pop the bonnet regularly to check things out, rather than adding things is my suggestion.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I’ve fitted the engine watchdog TM1 to a vehicle of mine that a family member drives. Very happy with it. I fitted the temp sensor to the rear side of the head.

philscat1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
I’ve fitted the engine watchdog TM1 to a vehicle of mine that a family member drives. Very happy with it. I fitted the temp sensor to the rear side of the head.
thanks EYY appreciate that. How long has the family member been running it for?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Do you know why it was overheating?
If it’s fixed and your RED coolant is at correct level, then watch out for overheating and pop the bonnet regularly to check things out, rather than adding things is my suggestion.

So how do you guard against a radiator getting a stone into it, or a water pump failing or even a belt getting thrown off, as a result of a pulley failing randomly by just doing random checks like you suggest?

By adding an alarm is a great to give you forewarning some part of the cooling system has failed unexpectably whilst out driving, allowing you to pull over as soon as possible and check the cause of the failure, rather than hoping you pick it up on the gauge cluster quick enough, especially when stuck in stop start traffic, when the majority of your attention is required to be on the traffic around you, ...

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
I suspect the temp gauge is actually there to tell you if your car is getting too hot...lol Why start plumbing in other sensors and hacking into wiring...when all you need is already there... My LS1 sits a tad under 1/2 when its up to running temp...if it goes over 1/2, I know somethings not good . Another factor is how do you know what you are installing will be set at the right activation alarm temp or be as reliable as your trusty temp gauge? I dont see any benefit and in fact my thoughts are your temp gauge will be a more accurate measure of any temp variation whereas the beep beep warning will only activate at a preset which could come long after your temp gauge has started to rise. Bottom line is if your temp gauge isnt sitting where it normally does...somethings not right. You dont need a beep to tell you what your eyes are seeing...lol PS... Some cars will light up a red engine problem display if the temp goes bad, depends on the manufacturer and model.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I suspect the temp gauge is actually there to tell you if your car is getting too hot...lol Why start plumbing in other sensors and hacking into wiring...when all you need is already there... My LS1 sits a tad under 1/2 when its up to running temp...if it goes over 1/2, I know somethings not good . Another factor is how do you know what you are installing will be set at the right activation alarm temp or be as reliable as your trusty temp gauge? I dont see any benefit and in fact my thoughts are your temp gauge will be a more accurate measure of any temp variation whereas the beep beep warning will only activate at a preset which could come long after your temp gauge has started to rise. Bottom line is if your temp gauge isnt sitting where it normally does...somethings not right. You dont need a beep to tell you what your eyes are seeing...lol PS... Some cars will light up a red engine problem display if the temp goes bad, depends on the manufacturer and model.

I honestly see it as a perfect forewarning, especially when you are stuck in traffic, which is when you are concentrating more on the traffic around you, that a gauge cluster....So having something audible in this situation can be of more benefit that not

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
When my top radiator hose blew, all hell broke loose in the dash with chimes and flashing images everywhere. I was well aware that there was a problem.
No need to add something else.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
thanks EYY appreciate that. How long has the family member been running it for?
Probably around 3 months. Shows the operating temp continuously. Shows the alarm temp on startup. I’ve tested the alarm and it’s very loud - you wouldn’t continue driving with it.

Importantly, the sensor is bolted to the aluminium and doesn’t measure coolant temp. Sometimes the coolant temp sensor won’t read correctly if there’s been a sudden loss of coolant, and the driver would continue on as normal.

Most people don’t look at the temp gauge, or notice a change in the vehicles performance. I do, personally, which is why I don’t have one fitted to the cars I drive myself.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
So how do you guard against a radiator getting a stone into it, or a water pump failing or even a belt getting thrown off, as a result of a pulley failing randomly by just doing random checks like you suggest?

By adding an alarm is a great to give you forewarning some part of the cooling system has failed unexpectably whilst out driving, allowing you to pull over as soon as possible and check the cause of the failure, rather than hoping you pick it up on the gauge cluster quick enough, especially when stuck in stop start traffic, when the majority of your attention is required to be on the traffic around you, ...
The VEs do chime at you when they overheat but it doesn’t do it until the needle is near the top of the gauge. Well my SSV does it anyway as I’ve had it overheat when the water pump seal blew out.

I didn’t notice it was overheating until it chimed at me so if it chimed earlier it would probably be an advantage.