Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Heating Issue

JamieC84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
I have an issue with my VL engine...my engine is heating up and discovered the thermo fan was not quite working so i changed the fan. I then changed the radiator cap but the temp came up high again. Can someone give me some idea on where i should be looking for the issue.

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
When is it getting hot? Like, at low speeds, high speeds, when idling at lights/in one spot? Do you have coolant or do you have water in it? Have you replaced your Thermostat or has it been done lately? On your temp gauge (the stock one), where does it sit when it's getting hot? Also, has the cooling system been flushed or run out or radiator removed etc recently & not been bled?

My VLT runs at about 70 - 80 degrees celcius (which is around the 2nd-3rd thin line on the stock gauge) depending on how hard I'm driving, and how hot it is outside.

Let us know what white line yours settles at when it's running hot, sorry for the crap pic, I'm at work & had to google someone elses dash just to give an example of the temp gauge lines:

P1030711.jpg

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Checked the Thermoatat?

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
They don't have a thermal fan as such. It's just a clutched engine fan. Unless it been swapped out like I have done.
There is a booster fan in front of the rad for the aircon booster and won't run to cool the engine.
Check thermostat and the rad could be blocked to some degree try back flowing it

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
the main fan has a temperature sensitive clutch and this can eventually fail, some skill is needed to diagnose this, happened to me, I fitted a replacement clutch and all OK, sometimes leaking silicone is visible

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Correct the oil/fluid inside the clutched fan thickens when it gets hotter thus engaging fan drive ( much how a stally works with the vanes) u can usually check by spinning it manually when the car is off there should be some resistance apposed to free spinning. Best bet change the clutched piece. And see. Easy quick job