Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine light on, Safty mode engaged, Running hot!

ssv09

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve commodore
same thing happened 2 me so got another radiator then tested it and it still was overheating. Then found out the thermo wasn't opening up so changed it now all good.MY CAR is a 4yr old ssv and my mech said pressure build up from thermo not opening is why my top hose blew off and snapped the plastic end? Very common problem.

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
I heard a story that Holden tested a VE V8 around Lang Lang with no coolant and it wouldn't overheat. The story was that the engine management just keeps shutting down cylinders. Apparently the engineers cancelled the test after a number of hours because the test was a failure (failed to kill the engine) and they got bored.

Can't back it up, it was just what I heard.

This is true mostly, but it was very much overheating. What they found (whilst also towing a caravan just to really inflict some pain) it worked well at keeping the engine below the point of destruction and wouldn't die. The ECU shuts down cylinders (fuel/spark) etc to bring in cool air to try and keep it running. You wouldnt want to exactly drive in those conditions, but it does appear to save the engine.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Found the problem
image is massive so find it here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73594838/2013-06-03 09.31.08.jpg

The plastic to the radiator has snapped off inside the pipe, looks like a new radiator for me, why make this out of plastic? surely something that goes hot cold hot cold would be made of something a little stronger than plastic
-Addy

Yes they could make it out of numerous other materials. Plastic is cheap and very easy to mould/form. Aluminium radiators are sturdy, more expensive and are still likely to fail - usually when least expected.

dean13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hey guys,

I'm having the same sort of issue with my 2006 SV6. It's happened twice now when the engine has overheated and gone into safety mode. All I did though was turn off the engine for 30 secs and then start it up again and all was good except the check engne light came.

Every now and again when I start the engine the screen with come up with an 'X' with 'contact dealer' than 'service' after it. Any reasons what may be causing it? sometimes the engine also makes a sort of vacuum noise when I start it up and the noise lasts for a while.

Cheers

mshagg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series Ute
^ either get some OBD gear yourself or take it to a dealer and ask for a diangostic scan. Error codes are waiting for you!

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
Advice by my mechanic, air in the cooling system, in the form of an air lock, collects against underside of thermostat, separating the thermostat from the hot coolant. Thermostat thinks coolant is too cold, stays shut.
There is a small piddle hole in the thermostat, possibly with a little loose barbell shaped item in it, that can get stuck, preventing air/steam from blowing thru
you need to get at the thermostat, remove the barbell rattler if need be, make sure the piddle hole is clear, reinstall the thermostat, DO NOT LEAVE IT OUT, should clear the issue

Brett05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Commodore Sedan
mine did the same 2 weeks ago....turned out to be the top radiator hose had blown off the tank, because of the **** plastic barb the hose is clamped to....