Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Light

BenScott22

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Commodore.
Anyone know how to override the check engine and essentially just turn it off. VE SV6 Commodore.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
By having it FIXED.
The longer you leave it on, the more damage that may be done.
Why would you even consider just somehow shutting that WARNING off?

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Anyone know how to override the check engine and essentially just turn it off. VE SV6 Commodore.
Find out what it's for, could be a O2 sensor simple fix.

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
Unplug the battery, light turns off. Problem solved.

bazz61

Reaction score
Members Ride
veII sports wagon 2011
push trip on steering wheel , mines been doing it for 53,000 k ,

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The only way it can be cleared is with the appropriate diagnostic tool. This will also tell the operator what the code or codes are that generated the fault and illuminated the warning light.

Only a fool would ignore such information.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Or just buy your own diagnostic tool for 50 bucks on eBay and fix it yourself. The check engine light normally only comes on when a sensor is operating outside of its normal parameters. Buy yourself and OBD2 scan tool and check the codes. Replace said sensor that the scan tool tells you is cactus. Problem solved. Correctly.

Note that if it says catalyst threshold below efficiency then I would not bother replacing this (but I didn’t tell you that) unless you have to get a roadworthy every year as this won’t affect the engine operation, just the pollution that it puts out.

And before I get flamed I would say that any petrol engine without a cat wouldn’t be as bad as any Diesel engine whose particulates have been proven to cause cancer!

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
A fault code does not indicate a faulty sensor. It indicates a problem. Multiple things can be happening that create the parameters for a fault to be set.

Sensors should be tested to see.

It may well mean the sensor/s are doing the job it was designed to do.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
A fault code does not indicate a faulty sensor. It indicates a problem. Multiple things can be happening that create the parameters for a fault to be set.

Sensors should be tested to see.

It may well mean the sensor/s are doing the job it was designed to do.

In my experience having always worked on my own cars most of the time it indicates a faulty sensor or electrical component like ignition coils, spark plugs etc as these are the most likely components to fail in a car. The engine and metal components are normally quite durable and most problems with these parts would probably be noticed anyway without a diagnostic computer.

Sometimes there can be other mechanical issues going on but in my mind if the OBD2 tool tells you that the o2 sensor on bank one is outside of parameters (for example) my first port of call would be to replace the sensor for 80 bucks (provided it hasn’t been replaced recently) before spending a **** load of money for a mechanic to tell you what’s wrong (and probably just charge you 500 bucks to replace the o2 sensor with their rip-off parts prices).