Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

engine mods

CALAIS 6

snowballing
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz exec
Ok guys was just wondering wats the best way to spend 1500bucks on my stock non turbo vl engine.Open to sugestions cos im stuck on wot to spend it on :bang:

Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Crapbox
before you go spending massive dollars on making it go fast, set yourself a plan so that after you blow this $1500 (tax im guessing) then you will want to save more and do the next thing. If its not a long term project, dont waste your time.

Second, dont go spending it on the car if its not gonna add any value unless it needs to be fixed to keep its current value. Things like
1. a good set of wheels\rubber combo if bought through trading post will increase value without blowing budget ($5-600)
2. Lowering car - Second hand springs and new shocks ($4-500)
3. Panel filter ($1-120) and CAI (cold air intake - cost me nothing for pipes from my work but $20 from bunnings plumbing section)
4. Set of turbo calipers and discs - not sure of price but you'd be looking around $3-400 im guessing.

Now you have a reliable car that can handle like a dream and will stop when you build a motor or slap a turbo on.

Just be mindful at all times about insurance becoming void if you lower it too much or increase wheels track by more than 1" (distance from centre of one tyre to other centre)

CALAIS 6

snowballing
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz exec
the car is allready lowered and im looking at upgrading the brakes just now it has mags but there crap so im just too confused on wot to do with it the car is reliable never let me down and drives great just want a bit more from it.And it is a project so i have no intention of gettin rid of it soon

P

Pistol

have you thought about a V8? they dont cost as much as you think and probably bolt right in with a mount and brake upgrade it should get certified, or however that works across the ditch in oz.. but its another option for you to consider and i guarantee you'll have more fun with the 8 than the 6! you will have to upgrade the diff at some stage too, i dont know how the factory one would take the extra torque and power... and the price of gas wont be as much more as you think compared to an RB30 turbo

CALAIS 6

snowballing
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz exec
Im still on my p's so i dont want anything drastic just a sensible way to spend the cash like :thumbsup:

VLACS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
Pistol said:
have you thought about a V8? they dont cost as much as you think and probably bolt right in with a mount and brake upgrade it should get certified, or however that works across the ditch in oz.. but its another option for you to consider and i guarantee you'll have more fun with the 8 than the 6! you will have to upgrade the diff at some stage too, i dont know how the factory one would take the extra torque and power... and the price of gas wont be as much more as you think compared to an RB30 turbo

damn you beat me to it pistol. get a v8 mate. dont think about it. its the right choice trust me. then put in in your car then drive around for a bit. oh then come back on here and tell me that a regretting your choice of getting a v8 for your car. of course

oh and spending 1500 bucks on a car that works fine is not sensible. you do it cos its fun. so get a v8. cos its fun :)

CALAIS 6

snowballing
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz exec
omg u dont get this i dont want a f#$%ing V8 i want to keep my six and i just wondering wot mods i can do cos i dont want a turbo eather :bang: :bang: :bang:

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Extractors, Zorst, Chip, a bit of head work and you're laughing

Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Crapbox
yer im with juzza on the exhaust. Wheels definitely make the car, as well as some nice rubber to keep it stopping so you have a car to work on in the future. If i wasnt goin to England to work id dump my 3 spokers in favour of some fresh 17-18's.

As for the chip and headwork, you'd need a cam as well to make it all happen and the head\chip\cam would blow a chunk in itself. May as well go the RB25 head and exhaust, prolly cost just on budget.

CALAIS 6

snowballing
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz exec
wots the average price to get extractors and full exhaust system fitted including buying the stuff tooo :thumbsup: