Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

engine noise when amping speakers

IW.45.NT

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VE SV6 manual, ignition.
I can upload any pics(camera's nackered) but I'll try moving some things around. Thanks for everyone's advice I'll get back to you

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
common problem with the VE mate. it's why audio installers will NEVER guarrantee an "alternator whine free" ve install. there's been a stack of threads discussing this very issue in some of the audio sections of this website over the years.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I don't know ves specifically but in general things to try are:

If your using rcas make sure they aren't coiled up.

Sand your grounding point back to bare metal. Or there's no problem grounding straight to the battery (especially if it's in the boot. if it's in the boot I always ground to the battery)

Make sure your signal wire (RCA or high levels) don't run anywhere near the factory loom or your power wires. It can run with the speaker wires back up front though

Failing that reground the headdeck at the same point as the amp to prevent ground loops. (you'll need a decent sized ground if it's gotta run all the way to the boot). This would be my last resort to try.

mangzilla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Clubsport
could also be the amp if your using a cheap/poor quality amp. a car i bought once had a cheap amp in it that made a **** load of noise when connected to speakers like your saying, but was okay with subs. i swapped the amp out for a kenwood (still not great, but better quality) and kept all the same wiring and all and the noise was gone.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
They can also whine if the input cap is blown on the amp

PhatCommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais, VR Wagon
I've got the same thing with engine noise with my stereo, my LOC is under the passenger seat.

duehicky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sedan
I have a pretty decked out sound system and had this problem right up until I replaced my loc, there was minimal noise barely noticeable but still e. I accidentally fixed the problem when my system demanded more power and the install of a 2nd battery and the noise is gone. Defiantly nothing wrong with grounding to the battery done my system that way and never had a problem once

SteveHatz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
by the sounds of it this is a similar issue to the alternator whine whilst listening to iPod through Aux cable whilst the ipod is charging

from memory some of the guys were saying that a putting a resistor on the alternator gets rid of, or helps with cancelling the noise....but i may be wrong :S

HUX 90

POSION VE SS UTE
Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS UTE
When I had my front splits installed the installer put the crossovers in the kickpannels and I got alterator whine, it was much louder from the passender side speaker then the drivers side.

IW.45.NT

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VE SV6 manual, ignition.
OK, so, me and my bro just finished re-connecting my sub and amp. We moved everything to everywhere and now I got NO ENGINE NOISE thank f**k for that.
I'll give you a rundown of where things are now.

I split my rear door speakers, disconnected the rear door speakers and am now running, kicker 6x9's on the parcel shelf and a LOC now under the rear seat, running into a 1200w amp mounted under the parcel shelf. That is running a ***w 12" pioneer sub.
I ran the remote wire from 12v plug in centre console up through middle of car and up the drivers side of rear seat than across to amp.
Power is straight from battery. Negative runs just behind the rear passenger backrest next to the fold down centre bit where i connected it to the rear seat bolt.
Now that I have no engine noise I'm going to buy another amp so I can amp my 6x9's.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions the helped heaps.