Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[308] Engine numbers

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
We bought a 308 a while ago which has obviously been decked coz it has no engine number. It hasn't been grinded off or anything, it's smooth as.

How do we go about getting a number put on it? A coppa mate come had a look 2day and he wasn't entirely sure. He said normally ya can still see the engine number, but yeah this motor doesn't have one. He rekons we should try and track down where the motor come from to see if we can find out wat it use to be, then get a mechanic to stamp it in.

I'm gonna give motor reg a buzz 2morrow, but thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone has come across the same problem.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Rang motor reg 2day, who put me through to someone else, who put me through to their supervisor, who then put me through to the supervisor at regency. He gave me his number to give to the cops so they can give him a buzz direct and he'll inform them of the process.

But yeah apparently I gotta take the car to the cop shop, they'll have a look, then ring regency and request a number, then they give the new number to the cop, who gives it to me....then I guess I gotta get it stamped in, then get it checked again.

Only problem is the motor is on the shed floor....but the cop said he'll try and find a way around it, which hopefully won't be any drama's coz he's already gone over the motor anyways.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
LOL good luck. :)

else it's off to the V8 stock car racing life....

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Buy a broken 253 block for 20 bucks and use that number :)

vndetta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
Engine Number? - Aussie V8 | Holden - Ford | Australian V8 Engine Community
This is a list I found on another forum which has all the prefix's for Holden v8 if you know what car it's out of. If not I would use the prefix which you think would match that block. eg: if it's an early red block whch have 2 shallow head stud bolts for each head which are closest to the centre of the block.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride

It's funny ya say that. We've already looked at another 308 block which I got last year and turns out that's been restamped, the number on it belongs to a 253. But can't use it coz I don't think regency will approve it with the 253 number. The engine number is for the paperwork at regency regarding my application to change my vk from 6cyl rego to 8....so a 253 number will prolly be refused.

Hopefully 2morrow they give us a call back about using a 253 in a VK. The guy had to ask his supervisor, but he was at lunch, and yeah didn't get back to us.

The cop is also still chasing the guy at regency up (prolly the same guy we're waiting on too), he'll get back to us 2morrow hopefully.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Turns out we can put a 253 in the VK, and if we do that they approve the application straight away as ya don't have to change the brakes or anything.

Then got a phone call from the cop that was looking into the engine number. And he said to look over the motor everywhere to see if there's a number on it (which would mean we don't have to worry bout getting a new one), but if not, to get a new number, they have to inspect the car and see that there's no engine number, then he rings regency to get a new number issued. It's just the motor has to be in a car so it has a chassis number to go with it pretty much.

The cop's gonna try and come round 2night (else 2morrow) and we'll go over the motor once more, if not then he'll fill out the paperwork to get the new number. He knows it's going in the wagz so he'll check the numbers out on that too, and will get the number for us so we can get it stamped into the block b4 we put it in the car to make it easier.

So it's lookin pretty good so far! As soon as we get the new engine number issued we can send off another application form. They told us today they have to reject the one we sent off coz of it being a 253 number on a 308 block.

Just hope we get it done b4 the new P plater laws are in. I haven't heard much about the laws, but hopefully they don't come in for another few weeks atleast, coz being xmas and new years I guess regency will shut down for a week.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

I'd get a block as close as possible to what he had - at least a red/blue/black 308 block.

Reaper

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I'd get a block as close as possible to what he had - at least a red/blue/black 308 block.

Reaper

Yes a broken one of the same vintage, but I wouldn't mind if the motor became a 253 on the list. You can allways grind the cast off the side or weld/die grind yourself a 253 one, forged style:p