Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Oil in a Gen III V8???

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Really, if its only ment to hold 5l (that is what my manual says for a vx ss s1) then what is the point of over filling it wont the extra oil just get burnt off???

I have a Holden Tech Bulletin some where on my PC, they revised the dipstick and tube some where in VT/VX production to increase the sump capacity by half a litre, it was something to do with oil surge when driven hard and the extra capacity overcame it, they also revised the oil pick up in the sump at some stage early in the GEN III's life. When my VX SS was fitted with the revised pistons back in 2003 on the invoice they have listed a new dipstick and dipstick tube and oil pick-up pipe. Holden have always put 5.5 litres in mine, and it never burns any off, it may drop maybe 2mm on the dipstick between services. The LS1 workshop I now use also charge me for 5.5 litre when they service it.

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
So it is only worth while putting 5.5l in if you have this special dip stick fitted ???, mine takes exactly 5l to the top of the dip stick so putting in any more in my eyes is just a waste.

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
So it is only worth while putting 5.5l in if you have this special dip stick fitted ???, mine takes exactly 5l to the top of the dip stick so putting in any more in my eyes is just a waste.

0.5 litres of oil, or a higher chance of oil surge. I personally run 6 in mine.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Why do you need 2 bottles??? dont they come in 5l bottle???

Takes 5.5l - 6l with the filter and you cant buy 1 litre bottles of it.

10w60, you can get it for $50-$55 for a 5L bottle on SuperCheap and Repco 20% off days which are quite regular at the moment.

Yeah 60 bucks on a good day. Every other day, 80-90. However, if you can find a Supercheap Auto that doesnt rip 10-60 off the shelf as soon as the sale starts, BUY BIG.

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
Takes 5.5l - 6l with the filter and you cant buy 1 litre bottles of it. QUOTE]

Well mine must be the only one that takes exactly 5l with the filter, I do an oil change every 5000km an i may lose a tiny bit between changes normally still on the full mark, Anyway i have never had a problem.
I looked at my recipts for service's i had done at tony island holden in townsville an they only ever charged for 5l, I had it done 3 times there.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Takes 5.5l - 6l with the filter and you cant buy 1 litre bottles of it. QUOTE]

Well mine must be the only one that takes exactly 5l with the filter, I do an oil change every 5000km an i may lose a tiny bit between changes normally still on the full mark, Anyway i have never had a problem.
I looked at my recipts for service's i had done at tony island holden in townsville an they only ever charged for 5l, I had it done 3 times there.

Holden revised the oil capacity by half a litre some where during the VX LS1's production, they produced a revised dipstick which went with the increased capacity, when my 2001 VX SS Series 1 had the revised pistons fitted in 2003 they fitted a new dipstick and tube, so maybe your car has the original/older dipstick. I have the part number for the revised dipstick on the invoice for the revised pistons some where in my file. Think I have the Holden Bulletin some where showing from what engine number they changed it on the production line, the change point from memory was earlier on the manual cars, but then they changed it on the autos as well. I will have a dig around and see if I still have the Holden Bulletin, not sure if I kept it or not.

VuGeniii

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu Commodore SS V8 Gen III
Mobil 1 - 10w 50w was the flavour of choice - funatortunately the idot who last put the oil filter on appears to have cross threaded it on tightening and the bloody thing is seized on - have broken 2 oil filter wrenches, the puncture with screw driver and turn idea shot - have basically exhausted everything under the sun to get the filter off (im only left with the main base and thread - the rest has all strip off).

any ideas? the main thread is now exposed and has a hex head socket showing (i assume to take it out) unfortunately i dont have the hex head bit to try it.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
I read an interesting article on the prospect of putting a high volume / better baffled/gated sump on an LS1. It says the factory sumps are fantastic, ESPECIALLY once you fill them with an extra litre of oil above the 'full' mark on the dipstick. I know this was the case for the VX LS1, I'm not sure if they changed the sump after that or not but there you have it. Someone should find that link :p a lot of the track guys use that trick. Saves a thousand bucks on a sump :)