Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

engine oil leak

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
my VL 6 cyl auto has an engine oil leak that leave a puddle of engine oil on the garage floor. the oil level on dipstick goes down slightly

previously the leak was stopped by adding some leak stopper to engine oil, suggesting perhaps a leaking oil seal, but now about 1 year later, the leak is back:rofl2:

Ive looked hard but I cant see any signs of where the oil is leaking from,:hmmm: the puddle suggests from towards the front of the engine
what do I do now please?

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
I would clean the engine bay perfectly then after a few days u will be able to see the marks from where it's leaking

Or set up camp under ur car for a while with a flash light and u will see it xD

pricey3682

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Calais
As said above. Give the bay a good wash with some degreaser and rinse it off. Leave it running and check around all the places it could leak (rocker cover, timing cover area).

If you think it's coming from the front it could be behind the timing case( cam or crank seal) but check your auto lines to the radiator( if it's auto) as they tend to leak and if the trans oil is dirty(black) can look like engine oil.

But firstly wash it all down and check with a good light

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
If it's from the front as said, likely to be crank or cam seal. And while you're at it you might aswell do the timing belt, and replace both cam and crank seal, regardless of which is leaking.

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
thanks everyone,
its probably some oilseal as the leak stopper liquid worked before for a while. Ive added another bottle. Its too difficult for me to work out which oilseal is leaking
the cam belt is about3600 km old and I remember some oilseal being found to be leaking and being replaced then