Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine oil recommend holden 2010 sidi 3.6?

Wildphilby

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais V
Will be doing oil change. What good 5w-30 oil should i use? And do I need to buy a 5 litre +2 litre to make 6.7 litre need?

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
I always use Castrol Edge in mine, and yes, it is recommended to put the right amount

Actually, just buy 2x5L and use the remaining oil during the next service.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
buy it when you see full synthetic oil on special it can be cheaper to buy two 5lts containers and brands take your pick nulon, penrite, mobile 1, castrol valvoline

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Buy three 5lt containers of your preferred oil, I like the Dexos approved stuff because that's what the warranty book says. This way you can do two oil changes and have some left over for top ups. When I had a sidi I used Valvoline semi-synthetic.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Buy three 5lt containers of your preferred oil, I like the Dexos approved stuff because that's what the warranty book says. This way you can do two oil changes and have some left over for top ups. When I had a sidi I used Valvoline semi-synthetic.

Dexos, what is it, I'm aware of it and have read other threads, and I'm not sure is it a sort of detergent and should give less deposits in the engine. Can non Dexos oils be contributing reason to V6 oil sludging that comes up from time to time, notably when timing chain issues arise and the questions about service history etc? To the Op buying two litres is probably not economical way to buy oil, best to get at least 2 x 5 litres and save the left over for top up and next service probably then only need 5 litres, of course you need somewhere to store it, might be a pain if you live in a unit with no garage of your own.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Dexos is not a detergent or a chemical. It's a GM standard, similar to DEXRON for auto transmissions. In other words it's just another way for GM to make money by approving - licensing oil company's product to their standard.
It does offer you some peace of mind on which oil to choose but keep in mind there are other equally good or better oils on the shelf which do not show the dexos approval because those oil companies have not paid GM for the license!

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Dexos, what is it, I'm aware of it and have read other threads, and I'm not sure is it a sort of detergent and should give less deposits in the engine. Can non Dexos oils be contributing reason to V6 oil sludging that comes up from time to time, notably when timing chain issues arise and the questions about service history etc? To the Op buying two litres is probably not economical way to buy oil, best to get at least 2 x 5 litres and save the left over for top up and next service probably then only need 5 litres, of course you need somewhere to store it, might be a pain if you live in a unit with no garage of your own.

To my way of thinking, this sludge thing and probably timing chain problems seem to be from lazy/cheap people that DO NOT change their oil often enough, and or, use a 5W-30 oil as specified IN THE BOOKS............READ THEM NOW.

I've used Magnatec 5w-30 semi synthetic since my '09 VE came out or warranty.......I change it and the filter every nine months........A very quick simple job on a VE.
I buy it on special, and in fact I recently bought 3 X 5 litres of Nulon 5W-30 semi synth @ $20.00 per the 5 litre can.....You just have to watch for the specials and buy three or more as they come up.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Will be doing oil change. What good 5w-30 oil should i use? And do I need to buy a 5 litre +2 litre to make 6.7 litre need?

Just use one of these fully synthetic 5w-30 Dexos 1 oils as specified by GM for your engine and you can't go wrong.

Mobil 1 5w-30 Dexos 1 is about $99 for 5 litres at Repco stores. The others are less expensive and all are readily available.

http://www.mobil1.com.au/products/product_5w30.aspx

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/brands/enviro+/enviro-gf-5-5w-30-full-synthetic

https://synpower.com.au/products/synpower-dx1-5w-30/

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I always use Castrol Edge in mine, and yes, it is recommended to put the right amount

Actually, just buy 2x5L and use the remaining oil during the next service.

I've bought edge for $30 for 5L on sale at repco or supercheap, sometime the 20L containers come up cheap too.