Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine oil

Tiger28

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Exec
Reading the holden manual it says the vy v6 takes 5.5 lt of oil with filter and if I'm wrong please exuse me.Now i put this amount in I used Castrol GTX3 15W -40 and the oil on the dip stick is between Add and Full just in the middle is this ok or is there simply not enough oil??.Also speaking to a vechile inspector he said to me the v6 motors dont like there oil to run much past 10000ks or else they start to chew a bit of oil is this true beacause someone else told me as long as you put good quality oil getting 15000ks out of it should not be a problem at all.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Is the engine still warm when u filled it up? cause as it cools down the oil level drops.
Give u an idea i change the Oil in my VZ every 5000-7500k

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Check it hot like paulsv6 says. The book states that the amount shown is approximate. I change mine every 6-7 thousand. I wouldn't dream of letting it go higher than that, car makers specify the absolute maximum k's between oil changes probably for environmental reasons or whatever, but I've been told that the ecotechs get 400,000+ k's when given regular oil changes, do the filter every time too, what's 10 bucks when it'll save heaps in the long run?

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
another top oil for these is the castrol magnatec 10w40, i use magnatec in all my cars i work on and castrol edge in my gen3, i do all oil changes same as these guys, every 5,000-7,5000 kays with new oil filter every time, genuine filters only, for $7-$10 for a genuine and bassicly same price as non genuine, its worth it to go genuine, and yeh look after the oil and the engine will last alot longer.

i also do spark plugs every 20,000-30,000 kays and airfilter about the same time, as well as fuel filter, keeps it ticking over nicely. and will last a long time.