Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine out...cheap mods anyone?

VPioneer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP commodore executive wagon
Hi, i am just about to take the engine out of a vn commy i bought from a mate for $100, the engines done 200,000 n mines done 400,000. So ye i was gonna pull it to pieces and clean it all up, is there any low cost performance mods i could do while its all apart? thanks guys

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
Depends on your definition of 'low cost'.

Free: Make sure the t/b opens to 100%
Get a die-grinder and clean up the heads a bit.

You might also want to consider a higher ratio set of roller-rockers to replace the standard rockers that are in there now. For what they are, I'd call that fairly cheap, but you may think differently.

If you're going to open the engine up then putting an after-market cam in would be fairly easy...just gotta tune it up properly when you get it all back together. A custom tune will set you back a bit. But well worth it.

If you feel like breaking the bank, then a stroker kit, with full racing pistons, full port/polish of the heads and maybe even forced induction...but that's for after you win Tatts. :)

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
yeah what he said...

polish the ports, maybe even port the inlet ports
new gaskets???? rockers can be done at anytime, they're piss easy
cam would be the go and maybe a rebuild kit??? (new pistons, gaskets and all that stuff) they cost around $800 but would keep the engine going for alot longer, if you can do it your self of course but a cam shaft would be the go and REPLACE THE REAR MAIN SEAL if its a s1.... please do that lol

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Great point about the rear main seal. And take a good look at the sump, too. I hear there's good aftermarket sumps avaliable that -don't- warp... could be worth the investment.

cams, rockers, a bit of porting... it's all been said I think. There's not really much else you can do without spending stupid amounts of money.