Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Pic's - VL RB20/30

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
A while back it was suggested we post pictures of various components of our engines so that in technical posts, everyone had something to refer to. Below are some pictures taken of my VL RB20. Everything externally between the RB20 and 30 is the same, bar one thing - the 20 has no exhaust lambada (oxygen) sensor, as it was origionally designed for leaded fuel.

General Overview
Overview.jpg

Coolant System
CoolBleed.jpg

Coolant Bleed Bolts

The VL is prone to airlocks in the cooling system. This is due to the way the engine and radiator sit. The highest point in the system occurs in the engine, not the radiator as it is in the skyline. Air locks can cause such problems as cracked heads - expensive. After every coolant change, be sure to loosen these bolts and fill untill air water comes from them.

CoolantBolt.jpg

Coolant Drain Bolt

Anyone who's tried simply removing the bottom radiator hose, just knows there must be more coolant in there somewhere!! After all, the system holds 10 litres, yet when you fill it sometimes it only takes 3 or 4, if that. Here's the answer. Remove this bolt, and almost all the remaining coolant will drain from it.

Thermostat.jpg

Thermostat Housing

Your thermostat lives here. When they get old, they can jam open, or even worse closed. When yours is getting old, replace it before it can crap out on you. Its easy to do, just remove the housing (3 bolts) and lift out the thermostat. Then insert the new thermostat (ensure the jiggle valve is at the top of the thermostat) and bolt on a new housing. (Old housings can get filled with crap as mine did, replacing will aid coolant flow) Use a good quality silicone sealant designed for automotive cooling systems.

Oil System

Oil.jpg

Oil Filter and Pressure Sender

These two are pretty obvious. The pressure sender unit pictured here is an aftermarket type for a POD gauge. However the standard unit is similar, with one wire connecting to it. It has a threaded bolt type fitting which screws into the engine.

Continued...

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Continued...

Throttle
throttle.jpg

Throttle System

Ignition System
distributor.jpg

Distributor and assosiated components

Brake and Clutch
BrakeClutch.jpg

Brake and Clutch Components

Anything else people want get in touch and I'll see what I can do!

Mike.

Any queries or troubles, get hold of me via PM or email [email protected]

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Good stuff, however, can we get the images shrunk to half size? I think it would be easier to see/ understand/ browse/ load etc.

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Yea sorry I didn't realise how big they were till i uploaded them. I'll work on it when I get home tonight mate.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Fairly sure he meant the Head Gasket, not sure how much information he could want though..

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Hmm, D and H are a bit away from eachother on MY keyboard!!

Uh, yea. It's the real important gasket between the head and the block and when it blows its a bastard of a thing.

What more can be said, i dunno.

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Excellent work

MY_95_VS

Drifting Champion...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V6
thx for that, cleared up a few things for one of my mates... U guys r the best, I love these forums.