Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Spike in Temperature

Zak Karran

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Sedan
I was driving to work this morning, and about half way there (10mins into the drive) my temp went nearly to the H and went back down, would it be the thermostat or something???

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Air trapped in the cooling system will cause this to happen. Facing the vehicle uphill when filling the cooling system will help get any trapped air to go towards the front of the engine block/cylinder heads and into the radiator where it can then escape, and make sure the interior heater is turned on to full hot when you first run the engine after filling it with coolant.
You can buy new thermostats pretty much anywhere, no need to buy them through mace or whoever..

Zak Karran

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Sedan
I brought the mace one because its a lot cooler and works a treat so far.
my car doesn't have a heater.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
works a treat , apart from the brief overheating issue , they do work well I've had one in the past as well , try bleeding the system from the screw on top if the thermostat housing .

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
What do u mean it doesn't have a heater? That's a registration requirement isn't it ?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Having an engine run cool is not always a good thing. If it doesn't reach its proper operating temp and runs too cold, then the engine will lose efficiency, which then effects fuel economy and power, and will also considerably shorten the engine life. Engine manufacturers specify a certain thermostat temp to keep the engine within its proper operating range.. You are much better off running the specified temp thermostat and fixing any cooling system problems if its running hot or whatever..

Zak Karran

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Sedan
it doesn't run cool, it runs perfect, with the original thermo stat my engine was far to hot, and now it runs a treat. the old thermostat would of being bad for my car haha...

simmons001

I like VS Caprices
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Grange/VS Caprice S1 5.0
Can't really add anything on what Brett said. Spot on

You need to make sure there is NO air in it. And the cooler thermo and no heater? Well....

Good luck with that :)

Zak Karran

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Sedan
it was just air in the system, I bled it out and topped up my radiaitor and its all good, runs perfect again.