Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

engine stalls while driving!!?!?

M-C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi!We've a commodore 99 V6 wagon.
Fews weeks ago the engine stalls by itself..and we can't start straight after we have to wait 30 min in the shade at least! We saw that it happens more when it's hot outside and in lower speed like in the city,or when we are looking for a car park..
The car repair has already changed the alternator...
Yesterday,it was really hot sand we could drive more that 10km..at 10 am and it happened more and more to a point where we were unable to do 3 kms.
We went to the car repair who replaced the crank angle sensor! But 10 mins the car stalls again and the car repair doesn't know why!!!
A other car repair said it's maybe a electrical problem...

By the way yesterday night when I braked really strongly the oil light displayed for two seconds and the alarm rang before disappeared!

We have really no idea what wrong with this car so any help will be welcome!
Thanks

VTBerlinaseries2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2
whats the temp gauge saying? and have you checked the oil for enough and what it looks like?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
possibly crank angle sensor or EGR valve

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
well i think you have to start with a service
unless you know what you have done so far to the car

a diagnostic while at service will ...answer more questions you may have .... with the fault codes found

not too confident with car repair responses in your post about the problem
replace alternator/dont know why /maybe electrical problem

try to find a better repairer that knows commadores would be a great start ..ultra tune or something like that

then go from there

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
Checking the error codes is always wise.

It has the symptoms of a CAS issue but you say that's been done. The next most common reason for stalling while driving is fuel pump.

Your oil light is coming on under braking because you don't have enough oil in it. They don't need to be more than a litre down for that to happen.

If the alternator was shot it wouldn't charge the battery and you wouldn't be able to restart it.

The first thing I would do is get the error codes checked and if there's nothing there I lean towards fuel pump. Does it misfire? It usually will if it's an electrical problem whereas fuel starvation through a blockage or pump will just die.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
When was the last full service? Fuel pump, fuel filter are prime suspects here. Badly blocked air filter will do similar.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Faulty DFI module can cause the same fault codes as a faulty cas, check for fault codes again and if there are any that are linked to a failed cas then try a different DFI module (beg, borrow or steal one and see what happens, if it doesn't do it again then throw in a newie, if it still does it then investigate the fuel system).

D

devilly

I had same sort of problem,put into reverse finished reversing put into drive it stalled,put into park started no problems and drove to were i needed to be.have solved the problem i started at the cheapest and hardest job which was replacing the fuel filter,you need 2 little special tools to break the line,when i took it off the fuel filter had never been changed,and after shaking it i couldn't get the fuel out.the fuel filter is at the rear of the car behind the fuel tank.make sure you use the special tools as it's high pressure.good luck.

Sizzle87

ARGH!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais SC II
Try removing the rear support bracket from the alternator. When your car dies, quickly take off the engine cover, and feel the bracket that bolt the alternator to the plenum (or supercharger). If it's hot closer to the alternator, remove it. Check around the positive terminal boot for melted plastic, or signs of arcing. Sometimes, when installing an alternator, due to bad design and crappy "OEM" plastics, the plastic shielding they put around the terminal cracks, and thus creating a condition where it can short (the positive terminal against a negative ground). It could be something as simple as the bracket was mounted around the wrong way, or due to some reason (accident caused or heat caused), the mounting point has warped or something, and so the bracket doesn't have the correct amount of clearance.

If you find evidence, grind the bracket to create clearance, install an insulator (electrical tape or something), remove the bracket all together, install spacers, or reverse the direction it's been mounted. Anything to get that clearance back.

theghostoftime1978

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 vt berlina series 1 V6
Hi!We've a commodore 99 V6 wagon.
Fews weeks ago the engine stalls by itself..and we can't start straight after we have to wait 30 min in the shade at least! We saw that it happens more when it's hot outside and in lower speed like in the city,or when we are looking for a car park..
The car repair has already changed the alternator...
Yesterday,it was really hot sand we could drive more that 10km..at 10 am and it happened more and more to a point where we were unable to do 3 kms.
We went to the car repair who replaced the crank angle sensor! But 10 mins the car stalls again and the car repair doesn't know why!!!
A other car repair said it's maybe a electrical problem...

By the way yesterday night when I braked really strongly the oil light displayed for two seconds and the alarm rang before disappeared!

We have really no idea what wrong with this car so any help will be welcome!
Thanks

crank angel sensor, happened with my VS real bitching when going around a roundabout when car turns off, no brakes, no steering haha