Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

engine stalls while driving

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
MuNtEd said:
well i've checked the leads and plugs all seem to be fine
run the car for a bit took it for a drive checked codes all i got was code 12

ECU maybe????
very possible its the ECU.....but i'd first be looking at the fuel side of things first.pump ,injector circuit,etc

MuNtEd

Reaction score
In A Box Somewhere Up The End Of Your Street
Members Ride
94 VR EXEC
yeah seem to be having bad fuel eco, so yeah i've broken in down to the CAS, fuel system is fine...

i'm getting the machnic to install the CAS for $50
i brought the part off holden for $96

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
MuNtEd said:
yeah seem to be having bad fuel eco, so yeah i've broken in down to the CAS, fuel system is fine...

i'm getting the machnic to install the CAS for $50
i brought the part off holden for $96

from your description of your problem,it sounds to me,it's in your fuel circuit,have you tested injector circuit from ECU to injectors? fuel pump....can you hear it when you turn the ignition on?
people say that the O2 sensor effects your fuel consumption,this is arguable,it's an emission control type device really,in theory why would the O2 sensor be placed on the exhaust for the waste gases,where does the fuel consumption come into it with exhaust waste?the only way this could happen is if raw fuel was escaping.

greg644

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Commodore
I am having similar problems, was your's a 5 litre ?

clubby1996

clubby1996
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV clubsport
hmmm i too is having this problem...

i've been driving along minding my own business and the engine stalls
sometime the engine will kick back in and other times it wont

i have to pull over to the side of the road and try start it again... sometimes it just cranks cranks and cranks no start. but after a while it starts up no probs...

i have checked the engine codes and it comes up codes 12 meaning everything is fine... and i'm like WTF

anyone have anyluck on find out wat it is...

i thought either the crank angle sensor or the O2 sensor ?????

please help i need my car back on the road asap

hi there... just wondering if you worked out what your problem was as im having the same problem with my clubby.. cheers,suzi

Dinwoodie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Forester GT, ET Turbo Pulsar, VS 5.0L Ute
Yo man ive got the exact same problem, its your ignition module, you can get them reconditioned off ebay for about 130 put one in mine and all fixed, a common vs problem XD

highkid

Reaction score
from your description of your problem,it sounds to me,it's in your fuel circuit,have you tested injector circuit from ECU to injectors? fuel pump....can you hear it when you turn the ignition on?
people say that the O2 sensor effects your fuel consumption,this is arguable,it's an emission control type device really,in theory why would the O2 sensor be placed on the exhaust for the waste gases,where does the fuel consumption come into it with exhaust waste?the only way this could happen is if raw fuel was escaping.

Exhaust waste ... well the oxygen sensor measure the oxygen content going past it not the raw fuel coming out ... so it regulates the fuel to air ratio ... it cycles constantly ... so its in open loop for cold so it can inject more fuel in to keep a cleaner idle without stalling ... thats why your thermostat trys to bring the temperature up rapidly to a safe constant temperature for engine safety of its internals and to make the oxygen sensor go into closed loop so it can regulate the fuel to air ratio ... saying that it is an emissions control item but only due to the fact it keeps the engine running smoothly and clean without putting to much unburnt fuel out the exhaust pipe.