Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine swap/ O2 sensors problem

C.Day

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim 06
Hey all,

Got a slight problem with an engine swap and the O2 sensors. Have a 06 VZ with a Leo engine in it. Brought a 05 VZ engine to put in. Engine is currently all bolted into the bay but the 02 sensors are in different spots and have different plugs. Checked the engine no. out of the 05 and looks to have a 10HABA engine in it. Silly mistake I know. Does anyone know any work around for the 02 sensors and will the ECU's even be compatible? Can I get dummy plugs for the 02 sensors or should I get it tuned to cancel them out?

Cheers

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The engines are interchangeable.

The only way this has happened is you used the engine harness that came with the replacement engine.

Always swap your old sensors (from all over the old engine) and your old wiring harness over to the new engine.

You reuse your old manifold and cats.

Then. Then there is no problem.

Keep all the sensors from the replacement engine as spares. Cleaned. Bagged and tagged.

I would also rat the engine harness plugs as spares on the replacement loom.

You need to reuse your old ecm. If there’s an ECM attached to the replacement motor, keep it as a spare. Cleaned. Bagged. Tagged.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Also rat the coolant filler pipe, coils, valve covers, injectors. Alternator, pulleys, various bolts too.

C.Day

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim 06
Cheers mate, legend

Thought I'd done myself over for a minute. Still learning the ropes of it all

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
cant turn the front 02's off they are needed for fueling, have to solve the issue

C.Day

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim 06
Hey all,
Swapped engine harness and everything else nessesary. Tried to start, unfortunately no luck. Received info from someone that the cams are different from the two engines. Once pulled out this proved correct.
My question is where should I go from here?
Can the cams be swapped over, or is there some variable timing software that can fix the issue?
Cheers again