Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

engine swap?

jazzawithvg38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Exec
so i have a vg commodore ute, and want to put a rb30det into it. Any idea's on what sort of modifications need to be done? it a series 2 v6 91 model stock as with t5 box. i have got a vl k frame organised as well as motor and gearbox and computer etc. wondering how you get on with hooking wiring from ic into computer and senser's from motor etc. also issues like ac and radiators?? any help would be much appriated

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
use the puter that comes with the rb30, and as much of the loom as possible...

then just cut off the engine-side of the plugs in your car, and hook new loom into the car loom as necessary. (the wiring should be all pretty similar)

You might need to extend some cables due to different fuse box location, but overall not a drama...

jazzawithvg38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Exec
sweet, so i guess you just use the vl fuse box and run everything [lights, indicators, horn etc] to there hey and get rid of the other 1. when you say cut the plugs in the car would that be dash out job or just cut them at puter?

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
hey mate

nah you would use the VN fuse box...

basically the rb30 motor loom, just runs between the motor and the ECU... the only addition this needs is 12v constant, 12v on ignition, 12v on accesories, speedo sensor.. and a few other things. The original rb30 loom will have a connector that plugs into the VL body harness to hook up these additional items.

What you can do, is cut the VL version of the engine loom -> body loom off, and re-solder in a VN friendly plug (sourced from the VN loom)...

Most of the wires should already be there (the 12v feeds etc), it should just be a matter of hooking up the right wires!

The other loom on the motor will be the starter motor -> alternator -> fuse box/battery loom, with the thick red cable. This should be pretty easy to modify to use the vn fusebox.... (you'll have to compare the two looms out of the car and you'll see what I mean)!

jazzawithvg38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Exec
oh righto, so i guess if i get wirnig diagram's off both cars and just cut out all the ones i dont need off the vl one and joint in the extra couple the vn uses will be the ticket hey. dont know a whole lot about the vl wiring harnesses, is there any differnce between earily and late model vl's?

cohn

VN28CN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais Turbo
yeah, pretty much, you'll need almost all of the vl loom if your going to run standard motor.
Go under the passenger side dash and wire up an ignition wire which will already be there from your old vn computer.
You'll also need a constant 12v for the injectors with a relay and a diode for earth.
Then just extend the wires for the temp sender, rpm, fuel pump etc... which will all goto the fuse box.
speedo wise the wiring will already be there from your original box, just get a nissan electronic speedo drive and matching connector from wreckers and wire up, from r31 or pulsar etc...
A VL radiator will pretty much slide straight in, just bend the charcoal canister bracket out of the way.
A/C you will need a couple of custom lines going from your compressor top the condensor and the reciever dryer.
Most things will fit straight in but there are a few little bits and pieces that will require modifying etc... nothin major by memory.