Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine temp

V

VSAccCom

Ey guys, i was just wondering when my VS is running its sits at about 3/4 on the temp and when im driving just above half way, im wondering if this is to hot for the engine and should i get my radiator flushed, also would a CAI help with this ?? thanks any help would be appreciated

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
that is sorta hot, wot is the temperature were u are, the highest mines been in half way, and drops when driving

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
yeah way tooo hot keep that up youll do a head gasket flush raidiator replace thermostat

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
I can't see a CAI doing anything for it. As burnz said, drain it out, replace the thermostat, replace with the correct coolant, and bleed the air from the system. They do get up to three quarter temp, which is when the thermo fams should kick in, and it should drop back to about one quarter.

daniel VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
hey guess just a quick 1 on engine temp. my vr temp is great when driving (sits on 1/4) but soon as i stop it just shoots up so quick to just over half then the fan kicks in. the thing im worried about is the rapid increase in temperature! soon as i slow down or in traffic the fan comes on every 2 mins and this is in melbourne in winter!!! i could't imagine it in summer!!! the fan will be running all the time. also it never used to shoot up as fast. is this rapid increase in temp normal?

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
daniel VR said:
hey guess just a quick 1 on engine temp. my vr temp is great when driving (sits on 1/4) but soon as i stop it just shoots up so quick to just over half then the fan kicks in. the thing im worried about is the rapid increase in temperature! soon as i slow down or in traffic the fan comes on every 2 mins and this is in melbourne in winter!!! i could't imagine it in summer!!! the fan will be running all the time. also it never used to shoot up as fast. is this rapid increase in temp normal?

Does it take like 10mins to get to 1/4 on temp gauge ? My VR was doing the same thing, until I finally yesterday decided to change the thermostat. Now I get to operating temperature quicker and keeps a temperature around 1/4 on the gauge. :yeah: Old thermostat was getting stuck open for too long. Does not take long to change, removing old gasket takes up most of ya time. Should only lose about 1 litre of coolant. Unscrew bleeder valve after tuning off warm engine. :thumbsup:

daniel VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
i changed my thermostat only a month ago! unless its a dud or just a **** brand i wouldn't think its the thermostat. its takes proberbly 5 min to warm up.soon as i stop it shoots off from the 1/4 mark. for eg. i was at hungry jacks drive through and from the start of the drive through to the end, my fan had been on twice. im just worried that wen summer comes it will heat up big time. it was flushed recently too. what else could it be? :b:

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
i think its normal for it to shoot up like that, from 1/4 to over half
expeically on warmer days, coz theres no air flow to cool it down

pj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
daniel VR said:

Sounds pretty normal to me buddy.

rob54

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss
Its normal for there to be so many varying indicated temps.Everyone I've spoken to has diff readings.Well as for mine ,it used to sit between 1/2 & 3/4 until one day she overheated.Turned out to be combination of things.The radiator was more than 50% blocked - cleaned out,replaced thermostat,checked & replaced suspect hoses,replaced blown inlet manifold gasket (V6),checked eng fan operating on temp (ok),replaced temp guage sensor with one to indicate lower needle position.So far all ok.