Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine vibration at low revs

Mungus

SSV364
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV Sportswagon
:b: I have noticed a vibration from my engine when in park or neutral at around 2000-2200rpm. I wonder if anyone has had this before and can point me in the right direction to isolate the problem easily. All i can think of at the moment is things like; unbalanced crankshaft, harmonic balancer, sloppy piston; but really have no idea except i think it will be expensive to fix. :b:

C

calaisalltheway

2000 RPM isnt idle so i will asume your sitting in park reving it??
it could in that case be a slight misfire while the engine isnt under load which would mean you would barely notice it while driving.
there are thousands of reasons for a weak cyl have it checked out

Mungus

SSV364
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV Sportswagon
You're right, 2000rpm isn't idle but i never said it was! I've just had a service and tune, so it shouldn't be a misfire. Yeh i have got it in park, slowly increase revs and hold anywhere between 1400 and 1800 it is most noticeable. Can't notice it at all when driving or when in park at any other RPM. You're also right in saying it could be any one of a thousand reasons, i'm sort of hoping someone else has had the same issue and could give me a heads up, but it looks like it's back to the mechanic to have it checked out. $$$. Thanks for your reply calaisalltheway!

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
Mungus said:
:b: I have noticed a vibration from my engine when in park or neutral at around 2000-2200rpm. I wonder if anyone has had this before and can point me in the right direction to isolate the problem easily. All i can think of at the moment is things like; unbalanced crankshaft, harmonic balancer, sloppy piston; but really have no idea except i think it will be expensive to fix. :b:
check the harmonic balencer sometimes they break in halve where the front main seal is (easy to fix) so dont think "o"crap

Mungus

SSV364
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV Sportswagon
Thanks Burnz that's a starting point. Is removal required or can you see some telltale signs while it's still in place.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
Mungus said:
Thanks Burnz that's a starting point. Is removal required or can you see some telltale signs while it's still in place.
some times the centre bolt may need tigtening how ever if broken oil leak sometimes but not allways (to check 4 breakage loosen centre bolt and see if you can wobble the balancer if it wobbles its broke)

Mungus

SSV364
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV Sportswagon
Once again thanks Burnz. Will look into it and see how i go.

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
I'm not a mechanic BUT couldn't it be faulty spark leads? Unless they were just changed?

Mungus

SSV364
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV Sportswagon
Just had a service and the leads (10.5mm) are only about 8mths old. Doesn't break down under load. I'm driving from Darwin to Cairns this week, fingers crossed the problem doesn't develop untill i get back in three weeks and then i'll look into it, starting with the harmonic balancer problem Burnz mentioned. Thanks for your thoughts though!