Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Entry Level Exhaust Suggestions

wherediditland

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Hi All,

After watching the VFII launch, I now want to get an exhaust of some sort.
I have a Calais V and the only time you hear it, is when you give it a bit.
I really liked the sound from the VFII and wanting to get suggestions on what I can do with my VF Series 1 V8, so it sounds similar to the VFII

I know very little about exhausts, but I don't want to spend an excessive amount and want the noise level to be legal.

Could I replicate the exhaust on the VFII or do you enthusiasts have other ideas?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Depends on your budget. There are so many different exhausts out there, some good, some not so good. I sell Manta, great sound at a reasonable price.

wherediditland

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Under $1200 is what I want to pay.
Just want the V8 to make a bit more noise.
A mate recommended a 3 inch Stainless which you could get for around that price.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Wouldn't be one of the better sounding systems for that price. I do the twin 2 1/2" mild steel for about that.

MrMagoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF SS
I had the same problem.

When i bought my 2013 SS (in Prussian Steel) it was my first V8 so was expecting some amazing sound but got diddly squat.... was not impressed as it sounded very plain. Anyway, i took it to an aftermarket shop here on the coast with some requests. The guy suggested 2.5" cat-back in mild steel (with OTR + tune) and now it sounds amazing!!
Also, they the put on 3" not 2.5" for some reason?

Couldn't be happier now tho!

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
Wouldn't be one of the better sounding systems for that price. I do the twin 2 1/2" mild steel for about that.

I fitted this to my wagon. Worth spending a little extra for a better system like Manta.

cassgazz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SSV Redline
If you're just after some noise, what about Marriage Savers, or J Pipes.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I just did a ute on the weekend that had J pipes fitted. Pulled it all off and fitted a Manta 3" cat back. The J pipes sounded like ****, first time I had actually heard them in the flesh. Now the guys ute sounds so much better and he and his wife are very happy. I would say from this example that the Manta 3" system was the "Marriage Saver" lol. The 3" system was a touch quieter, but so much deeper and more refined. It actually sounded like a V8 should rather than just a louder version of a shitty note.

SE1Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF - SSV - Redline Sedan
I just did a ute on the weekend that had J pipes fitted. Pulled it all off and fitted a Manta 3" cat back. The J pipes sounded like ****, first time I had actually heard them in the flesh. Now the guys ute sounds so much better and he and his wife are very happy. I would say from this example that the Manta 3" system was the "Marriage Saver" lol. The 3" system was a touch quieter, but so much deeper and more refined. It actually sounded like a V8 should rather than just a louder version of a shitty note.

Big difference between a simple muffler swap and a full cat-back system though, of course it will be better.

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
Big difference between a simple muffler swap and a full cat-back system though, of course it will be better.
That's true but you get what you pay for. I couldn't see the point spending 40plus grand on a car to then fit budget parts.