Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EOI Group buy for forged pistons to suit VN-VP V6's

MACE

Reaction score
Hi,
my forged pistons arrived today.. they are awesome value. strength in the right places etc. serious connecting pins. etc. etc. a couple of pictures attached. sorry that I got the only set precision had in stock. you snooze you lose ;) lol.

cheers

torture,

Do you have a part number for those pistons handy?

Cheers,
Steve

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
wow how many cc is that dish looks huge in them pics

Hey mate,

I think they are a 23cc dish so with the standard VN heads they give about a 9.5:1 CR (assuming they are the same pistons I enquired about).

torture

Reaction score
Members Ride
Many
Hi,
Sorry about the slow response. The dish is 23.6cc but the pin height is 36.3 up from stock (35.5?) this makes for a pretty high c/r. with a deck height of .0 a head gasket of .050" bore of 3.840 and vn/r chamber of ~37cc these come in at ~10.2:1 good for the N/A race guys.

I have cut up a head to check the meat and have done a quick rework of the combustion chamber to gain 8cc's from it and turn it into a more open hemi chamber. In the morning I will cut this chamber also to check for remaining meat. I'm looking for a min of .200" remaining material in the chamber for strength. I will then make a jig to cut the chambers spot on with a hss cutter for the outline and hand blending and polishing to complete. Preliminary results give cr of 9.2:1 as I will be running a largish cam (cut from billet) and alky (metho/water) spray it's not to far off the mark.

The crown on these pistons also could be further machined in the dish, however I wouldn't advise removing any material from the squish area above the ring lands as the first ring is not *that* far down.

Steve, I'm guessing your looking for the mahle part number? The pistons are at the workshop so I'll have a look and get back to you on that.

cheers
Jay

Attachments

• Photo0086.jpg
    Photo0086.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 190
  • Photo0089.jpg
    Photo0089.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 176
  • Photo0090.jpg
    Photo0090.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 167
  • Photo0094.jpg
    Photo0094.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 174

MACE

Reaction score
Very impressive Jay!

I kind of figured that these pistons were brought in the country, for speedway/NA applications.

Mahle part number would be tops!

I suppose, for people on a budget, they still could be used in boosted apps if tweaked accordingly.

On another note, for people who want these pistons modded (smaller diameter) a local company below can do the work. Not sure on the price though

Special Piston Services » High performance Forged Pistons

They can also make forged pistons from scratch to suit, however they're around the $1400 mark.

Cheers,
Steve

torture

Reaction score
Members Ride
Many
Hi,
Steve the part number on the box seems to be PHO38006040MMS there's a picture of the box tag in the below link, including the reworked head cut up. There's plenty of meat left in the chamber. I've made the chamber cutting tool and seems to work pretty good. Some pictures here. oh and "budget" is my middle name :)

cheers
Jay

MACE

Reaction score
After looking at those pics all I can say is top marks for the resourcefulness!!!

The only constructive feedback I can suggest is to blend the edge that they cutter has made as it's cut the chamber to reduce any hot spots

Oh and thanks for the part number too :)

Best Regards,
Steve