Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Error codes before checking codes!! Engine light flashing without engine running!!

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
Getting code 12 when car is off, key is in on position without entering diagnostic, no error codes when terminal is bridged with paper clip.

When driving car seems to run ok, but engine light flickers on and off constantly.

Why would the engine light be flashing? I'm sure it is supposed to be on constantly when key is 'on' without engine running??

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
Getting code 12 when car is off, key is in on position without entering diagnostic, no error codes when terminal is bridged with paper clip.

When driving car seems to run ok, but engine light flickers on and off constantly.

Why would the engine light be flashing? I'm sure it is supposed to be on constantly when key is 'on' without engine running??

Had a similar issue with my old VN. It turned out to be a failing ECU causing the 'Check Engine' light to flash/flicker while the engine was running. Further down the track, the engine started to give an occasional miss while driving, until eventually the ECU completely failed. The various symptoms gradually occurred over several months.

Replaced the ECU, and the problem was solved.

BTW, the original problem was caused by giving a mate a jump start, using non suppressed jumper leads. Identical issue happened to the replacement ECU some time later, after which I finally got a set of suppressed jumpers leads that were never required again. Doh!!!

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
Picked up an ECU for $30 from someone 5 minutes away, chucked it in and all back to normal. No more engine light strobing and running a bit smoother too. I've probably jump started about 20 people and been jump started myself 20 times in the past 8 years with this VN so I guess it was time. Cheers.

brohawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
i have this same problem with my vp calais, its been flickering on and off for a while, but its really intermittent. but sometimes wen i come to start the car i turn the key get all the usual lights but no engine light n no fuel pump running, so i turn it on and off a few times till i get the engine light then it will start and im off. would it be worth my while changing the ecu now before it dies?

and wot ecus will fit, do i just need a 3800 auto one, or do i need another vp calais one?

and does anyone know were i can get one for a decent price in sa?