Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Error Messages - where to start?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I do agree with a system voltage issue !.

However,
Careful all,

There is member that will say that you are all wrong, and don't have a clue !

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY17 Series 2 Redline - Red Hot
Ok, I cleared the error codes and the following ones have appeared:

U0078 - Control Module Communication low speed CANbus Off
U0155 - lost comms with Instrument Cluster
U0158 - lost comms with HUD
U0164 - lost comms with HVAC
U0168 - lost comms with keyless entry control module
U0236 - lost comms with steering column lock module
U023A - lost comms with vehicle direction camera module
U0140 - lost comms with BCM
U0151 - lost comms with inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module
U0159 - lost comms with Parking Assist Control Module
U0184 - lost comms with radio
U0232 - lost comms with side object detection control module - left
U0233 - as above but Right hand side
U0420 - invalid data received from power steering control module

Battery test:

12.65 volts

Starter test
10.51v

Charging test
14.76v

And I also detached the battery for 15 minutes or so before doing the above.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Ok, I cleared the error codes and the following ones have appeared:

U0078 - Control Module Communication low speed CANbus Off
U0155 - lost comms with Instrument Cluster
U0158 - lost comms with HUD
U0164 - lost comms with HVAC
U0168 - lost comms with keyless entry control module
U0236 - lost comms with steering column lock module
U023A - lost comms with vehicle direction camera module
U0140 - lost comms with BCM
U0151 - lost comms with inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module
U0159 - lost comms with Parking Assist Control Module
U0184 - lost comms with radio
U0232 - lost comms with side object detection control module - left
U0233 - as above but Right hand side
U0420 - invalid data received from power steering control module

Battery test:

12.65 volts

Starter test
10.51v

Charging test
14.76v

And I also detached the battery for 15 minutes or so before doing the above.

how was the test performed on the battery?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I haven’t done a proper check, but most of those codes seem to be low-speed-CAN bus (aka GM-lan) related. GM-lan is a single-wire (and uses the body as a ‘return’) CAN bus and it is mostly used for non-speed/time-critical applications in the car such as the instrument panel, HVAC, radio and many of the creature comforts.

The tricky bit is that a single faulty module anywhere on that one-wire bus can disrupt the whole system. Also, a single short to ground of that one-wire bus will also disrupt the whole system. It’s actually a tricky thing to diagnose, so beware, it might cost more than a single kidney.

What I’d be doing is firstly having a good look (i.e. visual inspection) around the electrical system looking for any signs of physical damage. It’d be a bit of a long shot, but if any signs of physical damage are found, then dive in deeper.

The other approach is to start disconnecting modules and clearing codes until the GM-Lan comes back to life. For example, disconnect the radio and see if (most of) the errors disappear. You might get an error that the radio is ‘not found’ but that is to be expected. Continue disconnecting modules (HVAC, HUD, whatever else that is in the error list) until the communications error disappears. Plug the last item back in and verify that the error returns. The hard bit is accessing the various modules as they are buried away in different parts of the car.

The other possibility is the BCM itself. iirc, the BCM is the ‘bridge’ between the various CAN busses in the car, so if it fails, it will result is a widespread communications error.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Actually, if I had that fault myself, I would approach it a bit differently to what I posted above. As I have an oscilloscope (and it a battery powered one), I’d initially be checking the various CAN buses with the oscilloscope to see if there is sensible data activity on each of them. All the CAN buses are accessible via the OBD2 connector. If only one of the buses looked dead, then I’d move to the ‘disconnect and check’ items on that bus as outlined above. If they are all dead, I’d be looking at the BCM.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
U0420 looks interesting as it is always "invalid data" and that is all that is needed to knock out communication and lock up the single wire GM Lan bus. There was a Chevrolet bulletin on this subject and park assist going at the same time and one of the fixes is to reset the codes and don't use remote start ever again.
Don't know if you have remote start but since the other codes can be generated after the U0420 has been set I would start there even just unplugging the power steering control module and see if any other codes return.
You have nothing to lose from trying.........................

Forgot to add all Uxxxx codes are network codes so something is knocking out the network and I think that has been mentioned earlier in the thread so it really is a communication error so talking to the system is going to be challenging without the correct gear to diagnose.

Last edited:

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
U0420 looks interesting as it is always "invalid data" and that is all that is needed to knock out communication and lock up the single wire GM Lan bus. There was a Chevrolet bulletin on this subject and park assist going at the same time and one of the fixes is to reset the codes and don't use remote start ever again.
Don't know if you have remote start but since the other codes can be generated after the U0420 has been set I would start there even just unplugging the power steering control module and see if any other codes return.
You have nothing to lose from trying.........................

Forgot to add all Uxxxx codes are network codes so something is knocking out the network and I think that has been mentioned earlier in the thread so it really is a communication error so talking to the system is going to be challenging without the correct gear to diagnose.
Thanks. It's a manual so it doesn't have remote start.

I'll try unplugging the power steering control module over the weekend and see how it goes otherwise I'll just book it in to an auto electrician.

kveldulv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Reserve
Don't know if you delved through the link I posted earlier, but if not, here is the direct link to the service bulletin.

Worth a quick check to pull the wires away as it suggests and see if it helps.

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi everyone,

I've got a MY17 Redline sedan and over the last few days it's started to throw up the following errors on the dash:

- ESP
- Service ESP
- Park Assist temporarily unavailable
- Park Assist Off

I got the codes scanned today and so far have:

U0140 - Lost Communication with BCM
U0155 - lost communication with instrument Cluster
U0254 - lost comms with remote start module
U0415 - invalid data received from electronic brake control module
U0428 - invalid data received from Steering wheel Angle Sensor module
U0232 - lost comms with side object detection control module left
U0233 - lost comms with side object detection control module right
U0158 - lost comms with Heads up display

The car was serviced only a few weeks ago and seems to be running fine and the battery is only about a year old.

Any suggestions where to start before I book it in to a Holden dealer and hand over a kidney or two would be appreciated.

Cheers
Just an update on my problem/s, my mechanic replaced replaced the Steering Angle Sensor and it appears to have fixed it.

$356 later ($120 for the part) and it is a case of happy days and hopefully case closed.

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions.