Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ESP Off/ABS Fault cause?

Wheatley098

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE SSV Ute
When I first purchased my VE 07 Sedan, it never had a problem but recently I kept getting the abs and esp control errors occur more frequently until they just keep coming on everything I start the car.

I'm hopping it is a wheel alignment issue as I was running stock wheels then upped to 22" Verses wheels

The errors occurred with both stock and mag wheels just wanting to know your guys thoughts so I can avoid getting milked by Holden..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
welcome to the common problem on the VE.. had the same on mine. what causing this is the Rear ABS loom.. what happens is over time the plugs to the ABS wheel sensors they play up throwing up the ESP/ABS problem. i bought a new rear abs loom.. replaced mine all fine now.. no more ESP/ABS errors. its a bit of a pain to plug it in. u have to get the car up on jack stands. u unplug from the wheel sensors on each rear wheel. and then careful unclip from the mount points.. the abs loom is a Y cable. and it connects just below the sill on rear driver side. loom will cost u about $55 from Holden. even when i picked mine up the spare parts guy was saying he gets this cable sold often. is why they keep it in stock its got nothing to do with ur wheels.. when you dropped the 22" on maybe the abs cable was knocked a little. but its a easy fix. just get ur car up high. to get under it..

Wheatley098

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE SSV Ute
Awesome! Thank you so much for your detailed reply! :)

SSVREDLINEUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SSV Redline ute 6.0 M6
When I first purchased my VE 07 Sedan, it never had a problem but recently I kept getting the abs and esp control errors occur more frequently until they just keep coming on everything I start the car.

I'm hopping it is a wheel alignment issue as I was running stock wheels then upped to 22" Verses wheels

The errors occurred with both stock and mag wheels just wanting to know your guys thoughts so I can avoid getting milked by Holden..

1. Yes could well be a wheel alignment issue, this will immediately cause your issue if the alignment is way out, or your steering wheel is pointing way out. You will lose the power steering as well. I've had the same issue, wheel Aligner stuffed mine up..but this will stay on?? Not go away!

Or 2. Could be a a bad fuel problem causing the ignition to play havoc causing multiple misfires? Best to get it into Holden's to get the code read. Some of the codes I can't get out unless I use the tech.

Or 3. faulty BCM.. Body control module.

Or 4. what SV6 said.

Note: THIS is no means in what order I think it could be. Good luck!

Last edited:

Wheatley098

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE SSV Ute

1. Yes could well be a wheel alignment issue, this will immediately cause your issue if the alignment is way out, or your steering wheel is pointing way out. You will lose the power steering as well. I've had the same issue, wheel Aligner stuffed mine up..but this will stay on?? Not go away!

Or 2. Could be a a bad fuel problem causing the ignition to play havoc causing multiple misfires? Best to get it into Holden's to get the code read. Some of the codes I can't get out unless I use the tech.

Or 3. faulty BCM.. Body control module.

Or 4 what the other poster said

On number 2s note I run premium 98 nothing else so fuel wouldn't be a cause

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
are u in melbourne otherwise i could plug my scanner in and tell u what code is throwing up those errors. would save u the cost of going to holden... if ur not in melbourne dont go to holden to get the code checked they will charge u $135 for 30 second job. most mech have a scanner simular to the Tech 2 holden use and they charge about $50 to check car. and will let u wait for the results, holden will say leave the car most likely for the day. i never go to dealers unless i got no choice and i defiantly dont buy my genuine parts from them holden charge way to much, the abs loom u have no choice u have to get it from a dealer, but places like holmart in melbourne they have genuine parts from sydney where holden get there parts and charge in many time 70% cheaper. for example chrome wheel nut covers holden dealers charge $16 each cap . $320 a set holmart the same set genuine will cost u $40. they are great on price on genuine parts

Wheatley098

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE SSV Ute
I'm at Holden now waiting for my car and I have a tech2 at home dosnt help me much at all

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
very common also is battery needs replacing, this is what was happening with mine replaced battery all good