Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Esp turns it's self off and engine has a miss

Adam08VESS

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS
Hello everyone.
I have a 2008 VE SS and I'm having some very frustrating issues with it at the moment.
I have read a few different things about this and what I can see this is a some what a common problem.
So at the moment when I start the car the ESP will turn it's self off and the engine light will come on with a miss in the engine as well. Most of the time the miss will only last maybe 5 or 10 minutes then run fine but the ESP will stay off and the engine light will stay on, but sometimes it will run as per normal.
I have changed the battery, cleaned the abs sensor's and I have cleaned the mass air flow as well. I have also tried unhooking the negative side of the battery and waiting a few minutes and sometimes that works and other times it doesn't.
If anyone could help me with this it would be very much appreciated.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8 & LX6
Step one get the codes read.....
That said it sounds like a failing coil pack.

Adam08VESS

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS
Thanks for replying. Yeah I think getting someone to read it is the only way.
Would a coil pack cause the ESP to switch itself off?

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
loose spark plug lead probably.

and yes a loose plug lead or a dying coil will cause the ESP to turn off and engine to miss.

Barrybee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, VR V8 Berlina
Hey mate, I had a similar issue with the symptoms you describe. In my case the misfire would occur when engine was cold and occur for a couple of mins to 10 mins depending on the day. Once the engine had warmed up, the misfire would go away and not reappear during that day (engine still warm).

As the other posters have mentioned, check the leads and spark plugs. In my case it was an inlet manifold leak. I retorqued the inlet manifold bolts to 10Nm, there are 10 bolts. Some of the bolts had close to a full 360 degrees turn to correct torque. No more misfires after that.

Adam08VESS

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS
Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply.
I have checked the leads but I am taking it to a mate that has a obd set up tomorrow and hopefully that will help me out.
However I will check my inlet bolts and after I have had it looked at I'll get back to you all

Barrybee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, VR V8 Berlina
I just checked the error code I had, it was P0300 "Random multiple cylinder misfire detected" (description according to Haynes repair manual). Hope that helps. Keep the thread updated, always good to hear what the solutions are.

Adam08VESS

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS
Thank you. Hopefully it's something simple. I will keep you all updated

Adam08VESS

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS
Hi guys.
So it turns out that I have a bad fuel injector witch in turn was causing the misfire. Thank you all for your help. I hope this will help others

Waleedzkhan62

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE SS - 2008
Hi guys,

I have a similar issue and a code P0300 Multiple Random Missfires. In the morning car wont start normal. but after warming it up i turn the engine off knock the MAF and move the plug wires a bit and it starts without ESP but a slight missing remains. I have already spent so much even changes the Starter 4 times and damaged the body too (long story). Changed the Wires to MSD and placed NGK plugs aswell.

I don't know what to do next. P0300 random Missfires are recorded on the Cylinder 1 3 5 7 that one side only.

Does anyone have a suggestion?