Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Essential Mods

giannetto

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black vy 'S'
Hey guys

What i thought we can do is put together a list of essential mods for VYs for people with different budgets. We will sort of geet a general consensus for each budget group. That way people can take a look at the thread and see what budget they have and what mods they should get. So put together you suggestions for each group!

$1000 Budget:

$3000 Budget:

$5000 Budget

$10,000 Budget:

This will definetly help me out and any other new people to the holden scene.

Last edited:

vy_acclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VYII Acclaim
Aesthetic upgrades

Allright... I'll get the ball rolling. I won't bother including prices as these constantly fluctuate. Most items can be found on eBay - others from NVU, CAPPA or your Holden Dealership.

$1000 budget:
- New leather bound steering wheel (sports or luxury) with chrome spokes.
- Leather bound handbrake with chrome highlights
- Auto / manual shifter upgrade with chrome highlights
- Darkest legal tinting (midnight express)
- Chrome door handles
- Chrome A/C vents
- Roof console upgrade
- Sunvisor upgrade
- Rear spoiler

$3000 budget - everything in former category plus:
- horn pad upgrade to HSV model
- HSV instrument cluster upgrade
- strut brace
- centre console upgrade (Chrome highligts with cupholders, etc)

$5000 upgrade - everything in former categories plus:
- Bodykit upgrade per taste (SS, Clubsport, Calais, etc)
- Center console binnacle upgrade (Battery & Oil pressure)
- tail-light upgrade
- headlight upgrade

$10000 upgrade - everything in former categories plus:
- new headunit (DVD, SatNav, etc)
- power amplifier
- speaker upgrade
- bonnet upgrade
- performance mag wheels / tyres

I have focused primarily on aesthetic upgrades since I bought my car, in order to avoid the obvious insurance spikes... Don't spend $70k buying a Clubsport (unless you are rolling in it - lol) when you can buy a standard model for $20k, throw $10k at it, and have a car that looks even better!!

REMEMBER: Make it yours! Customise and individualise! Oh - and don't say your car is a Clubsport or SS, etc. if it isn't. Keep your original badges - respect those who can afford the real thing, and be proud of where you started from. It makes the upgrades all the more worth it.

Goodluck and have fun :thumbsup:

Last edited:

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
People view different things more important, for example i think the mags are one of the 1st things to buy, and would be doing so in the $3000 bracket. Then you have lowering and a kit for example, they come next for most.

Other things include CAI and forced induction.

i also dont see how you can say dont spend 70K on a clubby because you can get another car looking better for 10 grand? A clubby has a name behind it, a higher performance engine and brakes etc and the interior as well.

You might be able to rice up an exec to those levels but nothing compares to them, which is why my exec stays stock for now till i turn 25 and look at an SS or clubby

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
I agree,

Moda are different for each person. I know that the engine isn't the first of my mod list. Only cos i dont know enoguh to make it worth while yet. I focus on thisgs like suspension, audio, paint etc. that way i can feel happy when i look at my car. I tend also to agree that no one should EVER rebrand a car. Im not sure what the obsession with chevys yet but were not in USA so we have holden commys not GM Chevys...i stood by my VP V6 HOLDEN COMMODORE badges when i ahd them and i will be just as proud of my VN ones when i get them next week hopefully.

anyway, on that note this is a list in order:

Tint
New HEad Unit
Suspension (FEII + Sway Bars + bushings etc)
Rims + Tires
New Front Bar
SS Induction
New Zorst + Stracters
Essential Cosmetics ie. New Steering Wheel, Fluffy Dice etc.
More Ampage
More Engine Work...maybe internals...
etc. etc. etc.....

aZk.

dan-wess

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY S Pac Series II
Just about to get a 04series 2, new to all this, I have seen the bars that join the suspension together, sway??, and just wondered what they actually do. They seem pretty cheap, are they worth while? sorry if this is a bit off subject. Where should I ask such questions?
Cheers
Dan

giannetto

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black vy 'S'
A sway bar goes from one side of the engine bay to the other. It helps to stabalise the engine. In turn you get better handling, but in a stockish car im not sure if its noticable or not

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
dan-wess : Look around the net on sites like howstuffworks, they give you diagrams and examples etc. Basically it reduces the 'sway' (or body roll) when you turn into corners giving you a more stable ride.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Unless you've got 600kw at the wheels, a sway bar will do very little.. On a 152kw or so Commo that's incapable of doing powerslides and burnouts in the dry, a sway bar will do SFA..

hoarey85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
actually a sway bar will do wonders as they are not only used for power slide/drifting, and the power doesn't make any diff to how well your sway bar is going to work.

they will make your car corner much nicer cause there will be less body roll and make your car much more confortable on the road...

just 1 other thing they are 147fwkw (fly wheel kilo watt)@ 5200rpm standard