Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Etch primer removal

Damien stephenson

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 vq statesman
I need some help.
I’m doing up a 82 wb Ute which I have stripped back to bare metal then applied an etch primer to seal up the metal.
I did all the proper prep work but I’ve still got a bit of body work to do.
Where I’m confused is the fact that I’ve been told you can’t apply body filler over etch & that it’s best to apply a 2 pac epoxy primer. I’ve got some in the shed.
So my question is, do I strip the etch off & apply the 2 pack epoxy, or is there another option?
I’m just trying to do as much as I can get a professional sprayer to finish the job.
Please note that the body has been sitting in the etch for close to a year now.
Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Damo

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
All the information should be on the paint tins. Every system can be a little different.
If you put the primer on first, then you are less likely to rub through the etch.
If you have the panels pretty straight you should use a super high build primer (almost like a spray on filler) and then long block it down to perfectly straight.

Damien stephenson

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 vq statesman
Thanks for your reply mate but I ran a test stub with acetone on the roof & found that there was a small section of surface rust.
So I’m going to have to strip it back again, do another round of rust proofing & then hit it with the 2 pack epoxy.
If there are any other tips out there I’d appreciate them.
Cheers
Damo