Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ethanol in petrol

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
News vs Facts?

Since when have facts been relevant to any news item?

Even the promoters of ethanol acknowledge the 30% lower calorific value.

ntl

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS 3.8L V6 Commodore
I don't agree with the whole ethanol thing. My oldie is a mechanic and has been for over 20years, he has so many cars come in with problems due to **** fuel. especially that safeway fuel. Once they change fuels, problems disappear. Ethanol also eats at certain plastics, ive heard of certain cars running ethanol and it ate at the fuel pump, after 3 new fuel pumps, they were told it was coz of the ethanol petrol, once they stopped using ethanol, didnt do a fuel pump since. It apparently also eats at other plastics within the engine. Ethanol fuel cant be used in motorbikes with plastic tanks and it cant be used in 2 stroke engines and apparently you get less econemy out of it and they say will only save 4 cents a litre so is it really worth it. My opinion is no. But hey, i run on gas! :D If its gonna cause all these problems, then id rather pay the extra money for good fuel personally.

stukor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS v6 auto Executive sedan
I find the fuel issue type overall as a 'who knows' issue.Very good point!
The comments already expressed show merit with the fuel tests and types though. However i have been going along with the fuel burn colour noted on vehicles sparkplugs>
Some vehicles on ulp burn white and only breakdown within the sparkplug to need renewal .[approx 15000 -20000 kms]*same servo fuel used*Fuel use reasonable

Some burn a brown colour all down the porcelain and this cannot be cleaned off with sandblasting.Hence they are shorting out. This condition is on light loaded 4wd's V6'sToyota.[ULP - ..different local servos fuel..what ulp/mixture combination??]]*heavy foot acceleration was known to cause this colour**Fuel use unreasonable but welcome to the commercial world I guess.

Some vehicles burn grey/black on platinum plugs [eg focus 1,8L] and are on town light running from 2 local servos fuel .A build up on each plug electrode of "carbon material"occurs within 10,000kms,which cleans off with sandblasting .....conclusion>> WHAT IS OUR FUEL MAKEUP?????