Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ex-CFA vehicle. siemens VDO module under dash. can anyone identify?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Best educated guess using powers of deductive reasoning, Google and 5 minutes of my time, I reckon it's from VDO (a Siemens owned company) and since it was a CFA vehicle, is that it's one of these and wires ran to the odometer / trip computer.
VDO - Fleet Management Solutions

Could be, but the compomentry inside what hak found doesn't seem to correlate with that unit.

BUT

you do make a valid point. I was thinking gps related earlier given its got that plug with a shielded cable. But there is no SiRF chip inside the unit nor is there any means of relaying its data to any external units... only canbus and there is no point telling the car where it is.... as it doesn't give a ****...

But why the shielded cable?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
Best educated guess using powers of deductive reasoning, Google and 5 minutes of my time, I reckon it's from VDO (a Siemens owned company) and since it was a CFA vehicle, is that it's one of these and wires ran to the odometer / trip computer.
VDO - Fleet Management Solutions

maybe, but from what i can see the harness doesnt go to the odometer unless it grabs that via canbus

found a pic of the plug so i dont have to go outside. this is from a g8, but plugs are all what i saw under the dash.

B1(12v) > Lt Blue
B2(Illumination) > Yellow
B3(Ignition) > Pink/Blue
B4(ground) > Gound to body
B5(CAN High) > Brown/Black
B6(can Low) > Brown

the pin locations differ from whats on this harness, but they make sense.

ColumnHarness.jpg

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I wonder if its a data logger (canbus) that sends it info to another GPs module that's been removed?

Along the lines of what Raj was suggesting...

Ain't sleeping tonight

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
I wonder if its a data logger (canbus) that sends it info to another GPs module that's been removed?

That's exactly what I was thinking when I was reading about VDO.

NFI exactly what it is - But it's got to be something along those lines though. Could be a private (and therefore customised) contract. It would (almost certainly) have to do with fleet management and/or GPS though.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
yeh, we were thinking datalogger, would have to be external gps module that it hooks to. strange to leave this one part when everything else was removed, considering it wasnt even mounted!!

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
I'm kinda thinking its a fleet management data logger.
(I have not seen any documentation on this stuff, so I kinda presumed that it may have been experimental stuff Holden may have been working on for Govt Agencies).

The clusters have a fleet management option in them, that enables the following menu every time you start the car.

image.php

I never knew what this option was for (as it definitely didn't save any data to the cluster when enabled).

I guess with the amount of SW Canbus data available (You can get data on everything except the power window and power mirror switches), its probably not a big stretch to say that it was used for logging
kms travelled for Business / Personal Trips (As well as driving habits, etc).

Only guessing though :idea:
Very interesting find !!!!

Major Herbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
'10 Pontiac G8 Manual '10 VE SV6 Manual
I'm kinda thinking its a fleet management data logger.
(I have not seen any documentation on this stuff, so I kinda presumed that it may have been experimental stuff Holden may have been working on for Govt Agencies).

The clusters have a fleet management option in them, that enables the following menu every time you start the car.

image.php

I never knew what this option was for (as it definitely didn't save any data to the cluster when enabled).

I guess with the amount of SW Canbus data available (You can get data on everything except the power window and power mirror switches), its probably not a big stretch to say that it was used for logging
kms travelled for Business / Personal Trips (As well as driving habits, etc).

Only guessing though :idea:
Very interesting find !!!!

Would be nice to have that in my car, easier to tell who drives the car more. Me or the girlfriend.