Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ex chaser

shano8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS A4
hey ppls, can anyone tell me what, if any, mods the cops used on a VY SS S1, ive brought one, it has more mods done to it, but i was wondering if any internal mods were done to 5.7L on the VY SS S1's?

Cheers, Shano:thumbsup:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The engines were not modified for police use. It was considered they were quite powerful enough for police purposes. Most of the mods related to heavy duty electricals such as alternatore and battery, cut out for interior lights and various other components were upgraded to ensure safety. All available air bags, ABS, etc, were optioned for officer safety under OHS guidelines.

Your "chaser" should be no more powerful than any other standard VY SS.

shano8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS A4
nom worries thanx

Barrie

VY II Police Pack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Executive [Police Pack]
What is the difference between the standard 6 cylinder exec and the police pack v6 exec then, I just replaced my 5.0 VS Statesman International [which was written off:cry:] with one and would love to know the difference.
It is a VY Series 2 V6 Police Pack from Queensland. What I know is it has LSD, 4 Airbags and very good suspension and brakes, but after than was there anything else? OK sure there's that dicky switch that turns the interior lights off but is there anything else?
Cheers guys, play safe
Barrie

1*

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Barrie

I think you willl find that the actual equipment fitted to police vehicles tends to vary between States. Holden issue the basic Police Pack, which comprises the heavy duty electricals, full safety pack of all available air-bags, ABS, and any other optional safety equipment. FE2 is probably fitted (check your vehicles ID plate - it will show FE2 if it's fitted). Engines and transmissions are standard - there are no modifications made to enhance performance. Some general duty police vehicles have wheel covers fitted, whilst others do not. In NSW, the vehicles are left basically as you would find them at a dealers, with wheel covers fitted. It depends on the State.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
and then you get the odd ones like mine. Its an Acclaim ex unmarked car.

The plate says Susp: STD but its got King Springs fitted and the wear and tear on them matched the 92 000 kays on the clock. There is no underneath bash plates, no interior blackout switch. The roof console is a standard Acclaim one ie without the seperate push buttons for reading lights.

There is physically nothing different between this car an a normal family Acclaim on the lot, with the exception of the few holes in the trim panels and the glue residue where the flashing lights were mounted on the dash.

But gone are the days of a special police order "BT1" where it was chipped and everything was different, these days their just the same as ex-factory with Bendix Ultimate brake pads still fitted if your lucky, although some states cop the scratch resistant black dash facia and interior light blackout switch.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Police vehicles were NEVER 'chipped' or had any performance modifications made to them. Safety was their biggest concern NOT speed.

Barrie

VY II Police Pack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Executive [Police Pack]
Thanks guys, I've got the VY2 Police Pack with FE2 and all of the airbags, the interior light cut out switch and the scratch resistant black interior. I haven't checked the brakes yet, but I know the cal stops in about 2/3rds of the distance of a friends VZ Exec, so I suspect they may have the better brake pads, as for the cop chip, wouldn't it be nice if they actually existed? Still I'm happy with this ones acceleration and handling so I don't think I'll be changing too much.
Play Safe
Barrie

1*

trentvy

Dodges raindrops
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S pack
apart from the police mode digital speedo and enhanced electrics there is NOTHING different or performance enhancing with the police cars.. My dad is a copper ( in Victoria). They all drive em stock and they all get rid of em once they hit 60 to 80 thousand kms. To repeat you guys DO NOT have a police pack commodores, there's no difference apart from maybe a heavy duty battery.

You guys DO NOT have what you call 'chasers' when a crime is severe enough that police engage to peruse the offender(not often these days they call em off whole different argument somethin to do with safety of the coppers) they call on the TMU (traffic manegment unit) who chases in ss's or xr6s turbos. You guys have all been watching America's scariest police chases too much.